So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Wow, well jell... ?

That’s a naga x from last yr got over 300 off it then a peach jolokia gave me 500 pods   On the other side of the coin a choc reaper gave me 25 pods. The super hots ain’t straightforward mine this year been out 4 days I must have checked then 100 times lol worse than having a new born kid ? the crop from few years back under gazeebo they never see direct sunlight but I didn’t put them out till June 

6B5C1519-DD63-4628-AA4F-5C006F7227B4.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

That’s a naga x from last yr got over 300 off it then a peach jolokia gave me 500 pods   On the other side of the coin a choc reaper gave me 25 pods. The super hots ain’t straightforward mine this year been out 4 days I must have checked then 100 times lol worse than having a new born kid ? the crop from few years back under gazeebo they never see direct sunlight but I didn’t put them out till June 

6B5C1519-DD63-4628-AA4F-5C006F7227B4.jpeg

Superb.. 

Garden goals... ??

13 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Managed to squeeze in a couple of pumpkins and butternut squash20200607_192835.jpg.2a3809dced41aff2b1c28892b1dd2e16.jpg

Alls good there mate looks nice.

Watch the Black birds on them berries mate.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
17 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Growing well there bosun, we've got some squashes , although she grows a few things im not fussed on the kids love it and a fair amount will get eaten on sight. They name the strawberrys as they grow, older kid said to little bro can you bring Johnny boy back I was like what, ah that's our biggest strawberry lol. See you've got the dreaded bind weed too bosun, missus has pulled loads of it, bloody stuff....

Thanks Balaur, loads of bindweed, as pre lockdown it was the bramble patch behind my fence. Its a constant battle dealing with it. Same with the reeds.

Love the idea of kids naming indvidual fruit and veg ?

Everything was gained during lockdown, bought or swapped. My cabbage seed came from a mate but he got them mixed with beetroot seed and the first half of my row is a mix of both (till i realised!)

The whole thing is just a rush job, started the first week i was at home. Smashed up the sleeper table i made years ago to edge it, as thats all i could find. There are some photos a few pages back. I see a ton of faults but i'm still very happy with it.

My sleeper table edging...

IMG-20170331-WA0000.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I spotted Bosun's bindweed which I also have plenty of. What concerns me more is the dreaded Mares Tail. Not knowing what I'd taken over, I rotovated the entire plot, which as you know just spreads the damned stuff. Now I googled the problem and there is a guy who advocates the use of WD40 which I tried. It certainly makes the heads go brown within a week but what is the long term solution. Anyone got proper advice on eradicating this horrible weed?  Incidentally my potatoes really didn't survive that early frost. I'm like most I guess, leave them in, get new top growth and hope for the best but TBH I can't see a happy ending. On a plus I managed a good bagful of peas for tonight's dinner and most other crops are doing ok. Will put up a few pice end of next week. Jok.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, jok said:

I spotted Bosun's bindweed which I also have plenty of. What concerns me more is the dreaded Mares Tail. Not knowing what I'd taken over, I rotovated the entire plot, which as you know just spreads the damned stuff. Now I googled the problem and there is a guy who advocates the use of WD40 which I tried. It certainly makes the heads go brown within a week but what is the long term solution. Anyone got proper advice on eradicating this horrible weed?  Incidentally my potatoes really didn't survive that early frost. I'm like most I guess, leave them in, get new top growth and hope for the best but TBH I can't see a happy ending. On a plus I managed a good bagful of peas for tonight's dinner and most other crops are doing ok. Will put up a few pice end of next week. Jok.

I'm going to try roundup mixed with wall paper paste and a small paint bush and just dab it on leafs for the bind weed mate I don't like using it but need must.

Cheers Arry.