So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

On 05/06/2020 at 08:57, Arry said:

Green House is doing well Mini Cucumbers cropping well.

IMG_1887.jpeg.ec1b9453c6c4b8626d7476a71419727f.jpeg

Waiting for the Tomatoes to turn.

This variety is Shirley.

IMG_1890.jpeg.2e29e5b9aa7200b312464349742f7d35.jpeg

This one Sun Gold and will be the first to turn.

IMG_1888.jpeg.b8da77174ef8e224825014f301862f75.jpeg

The last 6 or 7 Little Gems of the first crop.

IMG_1894.jpeg.df4427aba97aab7af91b4e1d4d516248.jpeg

Cheers Arry

Are the pots that the tomatoes are in full size or have you cut the bottoms off to allow the roots into the bed? Tia.

4 hours ago, hambone said:

Are the pots that the tomatoes are in full size or have you cut the bottoms off to allow the roots into the bed? Tia.

They are those plastic pots you have flowers in normally, I put extra holes in them but the bottom are still in mate. I put about 4 inches of compost in the bottom and transplant Tomatoes in them and as they grow up add soil as they get bigger till the pot is full, removing any leaf as needed. 

Cheers Arry

3 hours ago, Arry said:

They are those plastic pots you have flowers in normally, I put extra holes in them but the bottom are still in mate. I put about 4 inches of compost in the bottom and transplant Tomatoes in them and as they grow up add soil as they get bigger till the pot is full, removing any leaf as needed. 

Cheers Arry

Thanks for the reply, asking because I was told about cutting the bottoms off pots and putting them in grow bags. This year I have moved the glasshouse and put them in raised beds

IMG_20200607_170144.jpg

• Like 1

Some fantastic stuff going on here. Will get some pics up of my gurilla garden, its flying!

Question for those that know. I love my chilli's and earlier this year splashed out on some seeds of chocolate habanero's, scotch bonnet, ghost and standard birds eye. During lockdown i could only get my hands on MiracleGrow compost bags and the fecking lot have failed... ?

So, could i get some more seeds and get results this season, given that its around six weeks germination..??

15 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Some fantastic stuff going on here. Will get some pics up of my gurilla garden, its flying!

Question for those that know. I love my chilli's and earlier this year splashed out on some seeds of chocolate habanero's, scotch bonnet, ghost and standard birds eye. During lockdown i could only get my hands on MiracleGrow compost bags and the fecking lot have failed... ?

So, could i get some more seeds and get results this season, given that its around six weeks germination..??

Green Lurchers is your man for Chilli's he is well into all different types.

But no harm in trying IMO.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, hambone said:

Thanks for the reply, asking because I was told about cutting the bottoms off pots and putting them in grow bags. This year I have moved the glasshouse and put them in raised beds

IMG_20200607_170144.jpg

Looking nice mate like the companion planting to keep white fly away.

By sinking the pots into the ground gives you a bit  more height, just my way of thinking.

Another thing I do is take all leafs off that are below the first truss for more air circulation. In fact this year I think I have taken every leaf off below the second truss as for some reason I seem to have a lot of foliage this year, but not all at once say one off every second day.

Cheers Arry

21 minutes ago, Arry said:

Looking nice mate like the companion planting to keep white fly away.

By sinking the pots into the ground gives you a bit  more height, just my way of thinking.

Another thing I do is take all leafs off that are below the first truss for more air circulation. In fact this year I think I have taken every leaf off below the second truss as for some reason I seem to have a lot of foliage this year, but not all at once say one off every second day.

Cheers Arry

I have done what you did as in planting them low in the pots then earthing up and removing lower leaves. ? The mass of growth under the furthest pots is rocket I planted in the bed. Grew like triffid. Lol.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Too late in the season to get seeds  going now  , it was prob a combination of too much sun and whitefly that ruined your young plants.  Best chance you got now is to get some bigger plants from a decent garden Center to get any chance of a crop , I only put my chilli plants out last wk had them indoors for 3 months now but let them for this spell of cooler weather 

0579ABA6-4735-461A-A8C0-38E0AC705B86.jpeg

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, green lurchers said:

Too late in the season to get seeds  going now  , it was prob a combination of too much sun and whitefly that ruined your young plants.  Best chance you got now is to get some bigger plants from a decent garden Center to get any chance of a crop , I only put my chilli plants out last wk had them indoors for 3 months now but let them for this spell of cooler weather 

0579ABA6-4735-461A-A8C0-38E0AC705B86.jpeg

Cheers GL, yours look great. I'm fecking gutted about mine... ?

My 20 quid 'greenhouse' from Home an Bargain (you all know it as Home Bargains)

Like i said, my 'exotic' chilli's bombed but plenty of other stuff in there i'm happy with.

20200607_193005.jpg

Just now, Bosun11 said:

Cheers GL, yours look great. I'm fecking gutted about mine... ?

It’s a situation we all learn from with the hotter variety’s. They don’t like too much sun on the young leaves the get sunburn and turn silver they dont recover. And the small new leaves are less likely to get on with intense sun then the whitefly eat the youngest leaves and then it’s all fkd up   I’ve been there and learnt  I only let mine have morning sun  the best crops I’ve had have been under a Gazeebo with reduced sunlight  once they established things work out I know lots of chilli folk who put there plants out too early  and got sunburn and whitefly then green fly. I check mine 3 times a day for bugs ?

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

My 20 quid 'greenhouse' from Home an Bargain (you all know it as Home Bargains)

Like i said, my 'exotic' chilli's bombed but plenty of other stuff in there i'm happy with.

20200607_193005.jpg

I use pretty much the same type tent but sometimes it can magnify the pests have to keep check  the exotics ain’t straightforward like a jalapeño 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Thanks 1