So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Would be nice for someone on here to give us a heads up. Apparently they throw tubers in the ground  like normal spuds but then they run , what we call sookers in Scotland, which can be trimmed off, potted on and he ho, next years plants. The problem is that  they do not tolerate the cold. Point I'm making here is how do we keep them going ready for next year. Good to hear from Terry D again. Jok.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

On 21/05/2018 at 16:16, jok said:

Would be nice for someone on here to give us a heads up. Apparently they throw tubers in the ground  like normal spuds but then they run , what we call sookers in Scotland, which can be trimmed off, potted on and he ho, next years plants. The problem is that  they do not tolerate the cold. Point I'm making here is how do we keep them going ready for next year. Good to hear from Terry D again. Jok.

Thanks Jok all is well here :) looking a good soft fruit year ahead :)

On 21 May 2018 at 16:16, jok said:

Jok I think your talking about the sweet potatoes. Well I know jack shit about growing them but have been looking up on line found this site seem quite good, after having them six plugs left on my door step. I've re dug a strip putting in some well rotted dung i've covered in black plastic which i will plant through and cover with a mico mesh on bent weld mesh, and cross my fingers.

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/gardening/how-to-plant-and-grow-sweet-potatoes

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry

Hi lads,

I`m a shooting lad and keen gardener and wondered if any of you have ever tried this I`m about to show you ?

We use all left over guts, bones, carcasses etc, whatever is surplus under our crops of Rhubarb, fruit bushes, - just anything really.

It`s pure gold of a blood, bone, fish feed.

Pick up anything you can get and use it.

Old eggs, tea bags, banana skins are a rich food also.

A few new raspberry canes after a month.

IMG_1027.thumb.JPG.fc08c9e8e47cc3340063252365f536c2.JPG

IMG_1029.thumb.JPG.8ca984c5bfe77a9b9216c616a234ee0f.JPG

Here`s the raspberry canes tonight and it`s only May yet.

IMG_1055.thumb.JPG.26ad00cd478df529fb69de5a29524f32.JPG

atb  Mark.

• Like 3
On 27/05/2018 at 19:45, mark williams said:

Hi lads,

I`m a shooting lad and keen gardener and wondered if any of you have ever tried this I`m about to show you ?

We use all left over guts, bones, carcasses etc, whatever is surplus under our crops of Rhubarb, fruit bushes, - just anything really.

It`s pure gold of a blood, bone, fish feed.

Pick up anything you can get and use it.

Old eggs, tea bags, banana skins are a rich food also.

A few new raspberry canes after a month.

IMG_1027.thumb.JPG.fc08c9e8e47cc3340063252365f536c2.JPG

IMG_1029.thumb.JPG.8ca984c5bfe77a9b9216c616a234ee0f.JPG

Here`s the raspberry canes tonight and it`s only May yet.

IMG_1055.thumb.JPG.26ad00cd478df529fb69de5a29524f32.JPG

atb  Mark.

My grandad all ways planted his pumpkin plant on a dead hen ....... I thought he was mad but maybe some sense in it lol 

• Like 1

Now then guys and girls. Sweet corn.?? I've set quite a few and noticed that many have thrown additional suckers which I'm assuming will not give corns. Do I cut them off, promoting more growth to the main stem (as in tomatoes) or leave them alone? Now to be fair, I have researched this but would like a hands on opinion. Everything else in the allotment is going really well and shall let you all see the results before too long. Jok.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2018 at 11:31, terryd said:

Really nice and clean vf will you be netting up against the butter flies ?

No I just spray them every 2 weeks with that bug spray from Tesco 

I don’t like using it but even with netting butterflies still get in