So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Looks to me like you are going to struggle with those Toms. They have gone very leggy. You might get away with planting them in deep pots rather than grow bags. We are all behind by 3 weeks here and in fact are only just putting the seed in. Runner beans and sweet corn in pots in greenhouse but after that haven't been able to do much. Jok.

• Like 2

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Dunno might be bit cold unheated that’s the joy, sow to early an the plants get to big an it’s a gamble to plant out then,see loads do it with spuds and runner beans then they get nipped by the frost.

grounds soaked here so no gardening or allotment ,normally I dig it over Easter holidays .

yesterday was fine but Parents were up though I dug a rhubarb crown up out back as dad had lost one and I had plenty.

I wanted to have a couple hours later today but it's pissin it down here so can' see me getting owt done.

4 minutes ago, jok said:

Looks to me like you are going to struggle with those Toms. They have gone very leggy. You might get away with planting them in deep pots rather than grow bags. We are all behind by 3 weeks here and in fact are only just putting the seed in. Runner beans and sweet corn in pots in greenhouse but after that haven't been able to do much. Jok.

Struggle as in they won't produce much? I think I might have left lid on propogator too long. Wondering if I should just start again with em. By time the new ones come through it should be warmer for putting in greenhouse.

2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Last year I grew my toms in black buckets to get deeper roots ,I never have any luck with toms they always get blight an I end up with few ripe toms an bowl of green ones ,I still grow some every year ?

I'm growing two varieties this to try which are suppose to be 100% blight resistant Mountain Magic and Crimson Crush and can be grown out doors but most of my plants in the green house will be Sun Gold. Under orders from the wife she loves the Sun Gold and won't eat any of the others Lol. I also grow Tom's in containers and plant in the bottom in about 4 inches of soil then as they grow take of the bottom  leafs and add more soil like you would a potato, you seem to get a really good root structure that way imo. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

I 'be just been informed that Aldi are selling toms , Ailsa Craig, at £1.70 for 10 plants. Now this could obviously be wrong but well worth a look. Beats the hell out of growing from seed. Jok.

2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I normally grow money maker an a type of cherry for kids to eat off the plant,might have to try different variety next year and give up with the money maker.

In that case mate do try Sun Gold its orange and the size of cherry types but is the best tasting the kids will love them, unless they are like my sister who will only eat red tomatoes.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Purple sprouting my favourite veg and you get a fairly long season been cutting since Christmas except when under the snow. Here's some for tonight s tea.

P1190857.thumb.JPG.450ba48b85067e450f0a10f55e4d4b1c.JPGP1190859.thumb.JPG.eb0f6eda198c5c39701a1c36e05485ae.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Arry said:

In that case mate do try Sun Gold its orange and the size of cherry types but is the best tasting the kids will love them, unless they are like my sister who will only eat red tomatoes.

Cheers Arry

Sungolds are v good we like them 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jok said:

I 'be just been informed that Aldi are selling toms , Ailsa Craig, at £1.70 for 10 plants. Now this could obviously be wrong but well worth a look. Beats the hell out of growing from seed. Jok.

Just had a look at aldi online gardening shop and can't find them. They had 4 potted vegs for 1.99. If I can pick em up at 1.70 for ten I will be havin some of that!