So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Thank you Terry - I use it for horse youngsters - a smack on the backside is noisy but doesn't have the sting of a whip - great for learning stuff without getting hurt or fearful. There is miles of it here, coiled in piles, left by the previous owner. I didn't think to use it as a frame - but I will now.

My stingers are growing to be fertiliser water - if I can't get rid of the acres of them all at once , they can die and be useful !

• Like 1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Planted two varieties of tatties , a row of beat root , a row of carrots , half a row of chard . Trying horseradish for the first time this year so will see how that turns out.

Planted a new clump of rhubarb and started the new herb garden. Thyme , rosemary , sage , chives , fennel , dill and parsley.

We had a fair amount of snow last week so waiting before sowing the lettuce.

• Like 4

What do folks do as far as watering goes ? If you have a plot full of stuff or even two it gets bit impractical. I tend to just water what's most vulnerable though I do think the first year when I watered the whole dam plot every 2 or 3 days I had the best crops of every thing. Used to take 2 or 3 hours but every thing was lush and green

No outside taps here ( its on the *to do* list ! ) so one of the first jobs when I moved in was to fix water butts to the house and barn to collect rain water from the various roofs. As I have to take buckets of water to the horses, chickens and geese each day, I just add a few trips and do the poly tunnel and veg beds at the same time.

Previously I have used 25 litre water canisters, taken by car to the allotment, which was very time consuming, and I am sure was a big factor in putting people off taking an allotment, or continuing to use one.

planted out the brassicas in the bed and put the kelsae onions and broad beans and peas out to harden off ,hopefully get them in the beds next week

terry d not a problem watering here, the garden is just a kitchen garden/allotment so outside tap does fine

Good evening gentlemen on the warmest day of the year. Just got back home after spending a few hours on the allotment. To be honest I'm aching like hell because I did the last of the rotovating and it was hard going. Not the ground, just the fricking machine. It wants to keep going down. Anyway, finished and then put down a row of Savoy and a row of drumhead. Because I ridged the spuds when setting I missed the frost and 4 rows are showing. How come, when you have a huge garden, you run out of space?? Totally mad. My greenhouse is rammed with all the plants for late May/June and I could do with another bit of ground. Some of my neighbours are now realising that the fastest growing thing is not a radish but the good old weed. Anyway. I digress. Everything looking tickety boo. Interesting the mention about water. An old gardening adversary once told me that there is no need to water. If a plant wants it will find. To be fair, I tried that route and had great results so schools out on yes or no. When I was rotovating this afternoon it appeared that the ground had loads of moisture but I watched a neighbour watering In her runner beans. Ah well.

• Like 1

Evening Jok - would be interested to hear about the no watering - The land here is high ( 1200 + ) so gets blasted by wind, but also heavily rained. Soil always seems damp/wet on digging, but the top looks dry. A mix of decent peaty stuff with some shale and clay, depending on where you are. I water the poly daily, but leave the open veg stuff and water when needed. How much water is needed for the "no need to water" ?

quote name="greenshank1" post="4213884" timestamp="1462399840"]Planted two varieties of tatties , a row of beat root , a row of carrots , half a row of chard . Trying horseradish for the first time this year so will see how that turns out.

Planted a new clump of rhubarb and started the new herb garden. Thyme , rosemary , sage , chives , fennel , dill and parsley.

We had a fair amount of snow last week so waiting before sowing the lettuce.

I tried horseradish ....IT TOOK OF LIKE A TRIFFID !!!! it would have taken over the whole allotment , garden , street etc ..I then spent ages killing it off ..?

Saw a tip on facebook last night about drilling holes around a bucket about an inch up. Bury upto the rim and fill with dung then plant your courgettes around it and just water the bucket. Sounded like a good idea and I had to plant some out today as they were getting to big for me cold frame.

26839744486_263e3a5ebb_c.jpg

26780350552_44ff606eb7_c.jpg

got me bean frame up. Made a hash of it last year and crossed the canes high up so the bean hung down in the middle so gone low this year

26780340912_860d4d50ff_c.jpg

even got few flowers in nasturtiums I think next to cabbage

26873913885_13eefba21f_c.jpg

peas are up got one up on the mice it was either the paraffine or burying the netting around them or both

26268513734_1ce30a7a16_c.jpg

got the mower out

26268504434_ef0054073f_c.jpg

hope the onions keep there momentum going

26780697862_c993b785f0_c.jpg

26839793316_c979d2428a_c.jpg

• Like 3

Saw a tip on facebook last night about drilling holes around a bucket about an inch up. Bury upto the rim and fill with dung then plant your courgettes around it and just water the bucket. Sounded like a good idea and I had to plant some out today as they were getting to big for me cold frame.

got me bean frame up. Made a hash of it last year and crossed the canes high up so the bean hung down in the middle so gone low this year

peas are up got one up on the mice it was either the paraffine or burying the netting around them or both

got the mower out

Nasturtiums make good salad leaves, slight peppery taste, and the edible flowers are quite nice in a salad also. Don't know if it is a good thing or bad? Black fly absolutely love Nasturtiums, so will they draw the black fly away from the beans or attract them to the area? I honestly don't know.

TC

Edited by tiercel

got the mower out

Nasturtiums make good salad leaves, slight peppery taste, and the edible flowers are quite nice in a salad also. Don't know if it is a good thing or bad? Black fly absolutely love Nasturtiums, so will they draw the black fly away from the beans or attract them to the area? I honestly don't know.

TC

the lady a few plots up had her plot covered in these flowers and her greens were unnetted and in pristine condition. Any one else left theres open they would be decimated by caterpillars. So I thought I would sow a few just out of interest. Not sure if I have got the name right but I think so.

21540749960_6b31ebac02_c.jpg

can see them there completely un nibbled

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

got the mower out

TC

the lady a few plots up had her plot covered in these flowers and her greens were unnetted and in pristine condition. Any one else left theres open they would be decimated by caterpillars. So I thought I would sow a few just out of interest. Not sure if I have got the name right but I think so.

21540749960_6b31ebac02_c.jpg

can see them there completely un nibbled

Yes, I can see, she has what looks like colts foot growing in there also. Is her plot wet? And not a sign of black fly..or cabbage white!!

TC..