So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Give it a go, Kay.....I'm sure you'll love it. That first tomato will be the best ever!

Will be sorting a small salad veg plot for the current Mrs Jay. Lettuce and stuff. Easy, quick and very little space.

Hope your first attempts go well. Here's hoping for some decent weather :blink:

Give it a go, Kay.....I'm sure you'll love it. That first tomato will be the best ever!

Will be sorting a small salad veg plot for the current Mrs Jay. Lettuce and stuff. Easy, quick and very little space.

Hope your first attempts go well. Here's hoping for some decent weather :blink:

I need to look up what to do & when to plant & care for the stuff, so I will be doing that over the next few days :thumbs:

kay, tumbling tomatos are worth a go ( just pop into a hanging basket at the end of may) feed well and put in the sun , they produce loads of cherry type toms and you dont need a green house,and no real care just dont let them dry out . ,.

the only advice i would give anyone just starting out growing things ,is choose a sunny spot , if you dont have a sunny plot then your doomed if your trying to grow veg .

thiers loads of things you can grow tubs if you havent got much space ,lettuce,spring onions , raddish ,carrots,dwarf french beans ,spuds, courgets (just add a spade full of horse muck),

other things that are pretty easy to grow on your plot are ,onions ,shallots, leeks, beetroot ,peas,runner beans.

all you need is fairly fertile soil ,and sun , and water in dry periods.

iv just potted some collie in pots today and put some toms in a tray (not sure if that will work) and also put some carrot's and parsnips in trays, all indoor mind, i have some stuff growing in the greenhouse but the weather is shat and stuff is just starting to sprout so i shall see, garlic seems to be doing ok mind on the allotment

kay, tumbling tomatos are worth a go ( just pop into a hanging basket at the end of may) feed well and put in the sun , they produce loads of cherry type toms and you dont need a green house,and no real care just dont let them dry out . ,.

the only advice i would give anyone just starting out growing things ,is choose a sunny spot , if you dont have a sunny plot then your doomed if your trying to grow veg .

thiers loads of things you can grow tubs if you havent got much space ,lettuce,spring onions , raddish ,carrots,dwarf french beans ,spuds, courgets (just add a spade full of horse muck),

other things that are pretty easy to grow on your plot are ,onions ,shallots, leeks, beetroot ,peas,runner beans.

all you need is fairly fertile soil ,and sun , and water in dry periods.

Thanks for that , i have a couple of places I can hang a basket, i will give that a go :thumbs:

Everything ready here seeds compost , fertilizer , water retaining granules and seed potatoes but its a waste of time till its over three degrees i was told ?.

Hi

Its a bit cold n wet down my way so its best to hang on a week or two,people panic when it gets to April and they are behind,things will catch up,if you want a head start on the peas try this,we do this every year and when the weather is like this it gives you a extra week or two to play with,start them off in the tunnel or cold frame in 100 cell trays and plant two per cane on a prepared row,its good and produces fantastic crops,done this for years,

http://i.imgur.com/z7DJOJV.jpg

After growing on in the tunnel leave a day of two to harden off

http://i.imgur.com/IJfVf4d.jpg

Then plant out and water in

Atb

Edited by TWOTWOTHREE
  • Like 1

do you use pea netting or bamboo's for your peas then 223?? was wondering when to start my peas off to be honest. Do you plant some then leave a few weeks then plant some more ?. How long would you leave between planting your first earlies spuds and your second earlies and main crops ? would you wait until the first earlies are just popping through before seconds go in ?

hi

Use bamboo for peas, set two weeks apart,and do three settings,fist lot went in the tunnel yesterday as the for spuds,personally 1st and 2nd early at same time, then main crop the following weekend,but if the weather is looking bleak for the following weekend they go in at the same time,done this for 15yrs without problems,its all down to weather and ground conditions,even if they show fast and there is a risk of frosting just get a good ridge built and they will be ok,it won't be the first tine I've had to fleese up late april,early may when the leaves are past the ridge because of a big frost,and if anything will get caught its spuds,

Edited by TWOTWOTHREE