JohnGalway

So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Terryd I know you like purple sprouting and any of you like minded lads. I've been trying to remember a variety that I grew which had an early harvest right through the winter months, well came to me and I've ordered some. It's not to late to sow, if any body is interested

https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/broccoli-red-admiral/classid.2000021724/

Already got two varieties in "Blaze F1" should harvests from August to early December and "Claret F1" which harvests March to June (mine finished April this year.

"Red Admiral F1" should fill that gap it harvests October to March.

Cheers Arry 

About time we rekindled this topic. It's all gone quiet when really there is a he'll of a lot going on. Jok.

• Like 3

Well I managed to plant out my brassicas and erect a suitable netting arrangement to prevent butterfly's so hopefully will all be good.

Also after chatting with my brother he told me he was giving his allotment up next year so have agreed to take it on and spent a few hours clearing a bit of his so that I can plant this year, whilst on the site where his allotment is spoke with a few old boys who told me there is a few plots up for grabs this would save the commute between my site and his🤔

Got sweet corn ready to plant out tomorrow.

Edited by Gooner
Added a bit
  • Like 5

Just few pics of what is going on. Got some nice garlic this year and looks a good year for raspberries 

IMG_5255.jpg.68fd1db93585a785c0f1533bbbd9c363.jpg

• Like 2

Would upload more but size limit is too small

Eh up son. Just having my first boiling of new potatoes with cabbage and lamb shank. To be fair things are looking good. All the usual salad bits and bobs going great. Greenhouse flourishing. Put in a lot of leek plants this morning and another row of peas. Unfortunately we have the dreaded Alium Leaf Miner among the onions so bad news there. Set out a range of brassicas but the pigeon soon sorted them out. Also trying a few new herb varieties which should make my faggots very tasty. The new potatoes are a new on e on me , Jazzy. 2nd early salad variety. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Might be an idea to share, on here, ways of combatting the various pests and problems we all have trying to grow vegetables. I'll start off by saying that the Alium Leaf moth is a huge problem. As of lately, an insecticide called Bandhu was available but has been taken off the market.  What has replaced it for the domestic gardener? Mice. The little blighters are under the peas and just about everywhere else. How to cope? Ants in the peas. Powder or something else? Cabbage white butterfly? Yes netting is obvious but can we do anything else? Slugs and snails? As of next year the blue pellets will be banned. Do we stock up or find another deterrent? Club root? Surely in this day and age the farmers have been given the sprays to combat this evil. Are we able to access the cure? Cats? I've bought the sonar deterrent which appears to be working but what else can we do? Obviously the list is endless and we don't all live in Kew Gardens or Sandringham where wages allow the protection of all that's good. Ideas??Jok

• Like 1

I to have to net to keep cats off pigeons off the PSB and bloody sparrows off beetroot and spinach. The stuff looks good Terry but bit pricey I think it has Bacillus thuringiensis in it which I believe is organic and safe but affective.  Might be useful to me as I'm looking for something against cabbage root fly which I seem to suffer with even if I use cabbage collars they still seem to get a few plants. I've a tray of that PSB plants almost ready to go in at the moment and I've spray them with a systemic caterpillar killer I had in the shed in a hope to protect them. 

Terry that Dipel-df do you know if thats systemic?

Cheers Arry

• Confused 1

Well. Been on to the suppliers and they would like some pics of the pest, so, will strip some plants and send them over. It sounds like there is not an easy answer to the leaf miner. Will keep you all posted. Jok.

3 hours ago, jok said:

Well. Been on to the suppliers and they would like some pics of the pest, so, will strip some plants and send them over. It sounds like there is not an easy answer to the leaf miner. Will keep you all posted. Jok.

Jok is it Leek moth your talking about mate?  I think that stuff Terry's bought would take care of them, it's supposed to be safe and Bee friendly.

There is this stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113754738902

Cheers Arry 

Edited by Arry
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Arry said:

Dipel-df do you know if thats systemic?

Couldn't tell you Arry I saw that nodig guy charlesdowding use it. I found a small tub than the one I linked to. But you only need a teaspoon in like 5 litres so it will last until you die lol

https://charlesdowding.co.uk/community/forums/reply/bacillus-thuringiensis/

this is the one i got

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/123740427659?chn=ps

• Confused 1

Definitely not leek moth pal. Jok.