So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Well the Saga of the runner Beans has finally payed off. After the fleece and micro mess etc and looking like I had squatters in the garden. My first feed this year.

IMG_3529.JPG.44bdc37881f5f1dfcd3ef3f831801220.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG.a52b8c6ec553c50eb97dab701e3f89ae.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG.b9eb6fbf2d2ee97b766e22bde451fd60.JPG

Sweet Corn coming on.

IMG_3523.JPG.7114497ae53b93db3a001702cca58bfa.JPG

Onions and Leeks.

IMG_3531.JPG.e6b376c99d41d365f3dcd071720d88af.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 3

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Arry said:

Well the Saga of the runner Beans has finally payed off. After the fleece and micro mess etc and looking like I had squatters in the garden. My first feed this year.

IMG_3529.JPG.44bdc37881f5f1dfcd3ef3f831801220.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG.a52b8c6ec553c50eb97dab701e3f89ae.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG.b9eb6fbf2d2ee97b766e22bde451fd60.JPG

Sweet Corn coming on.

IMG_3523.JPG.7114497ae53b93db3a001702cca58bfa.JPG

Onions and Leeks.

IMG_3531.JPG.e6b376c99d41d365f3dcd071720d88af.JPG

Cheers Arry

? Looks great Arry, both your beans and corn are much further on than mine.

1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

? Looks great Arry, both your beans and corn are much further on than mine.

Bit lucky down in Devon mate its a bit milder but christ been some long drawn out thing with the beans Lol. 

Thanks mate,

Cheers Arry

18 minutes ago, Arry said:

Bit lucky down in Devon mate its a bit milder but christ been some long drawn out thing with the beans Lol. 

Thanks mate,

Cheers Arry

I had an idea you were down there somewhere, basking in summer heat.

The heavy clay of my neck of Merseyside took a while to warm up this year. Even with the stuff i pre-grew, i had to be patient before i put it out, or it would be shocked... It still was..! Thing is a couple of weeks after i put the grown corn in, i just thought sod it and put a couple of rows of corn seed in. Right now you can't tell which is which.

Proof to me to wait and sow when the soils ready. I'm so keen to get things started but i've got to lean from that... ?

9 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

I had an idea you were down there somewhere, basking in summer heat.

The heavy clay of my neck of Merseyside took a while to warm up this year. Even with the stuff i pre-grew, i had to be patient before i put it out, or it would be shocked... It still was..! Thing is a couple of weeks after i put the grown corn in, i just thought sod it and put a couple of rows of corn seed in. Right now you can't tell which is which.

Proof to me to wait and sow when the soils ready. I'm so keen to get things started but i've got to lean from that... ?

This year has been hard with all that weird weather even I had stuff in the bay window for weeks that should have gone out in a normal year. Had more frosts in the spring when stuff should have been out than the rest of the winter.

Can you source sea weed mate? I've found that great for helping break down clay soil.

Cheers Arry

3 hours ago, Aled said:

Blimey guys, how do you keep those weeds down, you must do a serious amount of weeding!

Stay on top of them mate. Keep the hoe moving.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really pleased with my sweetcorn so far and the parsnips in it's shadow seem to be thriving. The outdoor tomato's are doing ok, just need to ripen up now. Grown on the original garden fence i dug up when creating the plot.

20210806_143124.jpg

20210806_143135.jpg

20210806_143225.jpg

20210806_143241.jpg

Really pleased with my sweetcorn so far and the parsnips in it's shadow seem to be thriving. The outdoor tomato's are doing ok, just need to ripen up now. Grown on the original garden fence i dug up when creating the plot.

20210806_143124.jpg

20210806_143135.jpg

20210806_143225.jpg

20210806_143241.jpg

Some decent Cabbage there as well mate.

Harvested this for last Sundays roast.

IMG_3681.JPG.c6f85b092c2a1a4126e89e4c7d43e3de.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Arry said:

Some decent Cabbage there as well mate.

Harvested this for last Sundays roast.

IMG_3681.JPG.c6f85b092c2a1a4126e89e4c7d43e3de.JPG

Cheers Arry

Excellent, that all looks fantastic, especially that corn.

I'm way behind you for a harvest as yet, can only gather runners, carrots and that cabbage, though i should of covered it, as the outer leaves have taken a pasting.

Had a nice harvest of 'first earlies' Pentland Javelin. They've been lovey eating. My seconds will be a couple of weeks yet. Though i think i mentioned, i'm growing spuds in bags next year. It'll give me more space for more brassicas, which i want to grow.

Excellent, that all looks fantastic, especially that corn.

I'm way behind you for a harvest as yet, can only gather runners, carrots and that cabbage, though i should of covered it, as the outer leaves have taken a pasting.

Had a nice harvest of 'first earlies' Pentland Javelin. They've been lovey eating. My seconds will be a couple of weeks yet. Though i think i mentioned, i'm growing spuds in bags next year. It'll give me more space for more brassicas, which i want to grow.

I am lucky being farther south but the saga of the runners was something.

Grew a second early's (Nicola) in tubs this year for the first time, put them in a bit early in that mild spell in March. Then the the weather went all tits up I was pulling them in and out of the shed each night. In the end started emptying them out about a week into June and they where a lovely tasting spud. Last tub emptied about the end of June as I planed as we get blight about then.

An interesting thing I read about this year is spraying Potatoes and Tomatoes with soluble Aspirin to help stave off Blight also con improve crop.

Grew in tubs for the same reason as you extra space. Just lifted my Onions and Garlic and put Purple spouting in the gap.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1