So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

You are so far in front of us guys. It's hard to believe really. My runners have just started flowering and tomatoes are about as big as your thumb nail. However, even I know that patience is a virtue. We'll catch up. Jok.

• Like 1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, terryd said:

First runner are all ways delicious then its a matter of keeping up with the sods lol

That is so close to the conversation I had over the garden fence to another gardener.

Cheers Arry

1 hour ago, jok said:

You are so far in front of us guys. It's hard to believe really. My runners have just started flowering and tomatoes are about as big as your thumb nail. However, even I know that patience is a virtue. We'll catch up. Jok.

I'm surprised I suppose never been in contact with any guys further north than me. It's so bloody dry down here Jok we had no rain again for weeks. Pulled up a lettuce the other night no moister all it was like dust.

Recon you will still be picking after ours have gone over, so in balances out.

Cheers Arry

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well. At last. Tonight we are eating a meal consisting Casablanca potatoe, runner beans, peas, baby carrots and broad beans. My courgettes are amazing and I have decided to crop each plant at no more than 6 inches. Just cropped 23 of same. I'm betting same each 3 days. Now then. Question. Freezing courgettes?? Does it work?  Jok.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jok said:

Well. At last. Tonight we are eating a meal consisting Casablanca potatoe, runner beans, peas, baby carrots and broad beans. My courgettes are amazing and I have decided to crop each plant at no more than 6 inches. Just cropped 23 of same. I'm betting same each 3 days. Now then. Question. Freezing courgettes?? Does it work?  Jok.

I think you lose the texture jok but fine for bulking up any thing. Mince soups or what ever

• Confused 1

Here we go again with our gardening problems. Put in my main plot of leeks , which, to be fair I use a lot of when making my pies. The dreaded Alium moth struck and I now know that there will be those horrible brown streaks the length of the bulb. So, off to Jacksons Nurseries of Clifton Campville and bought another 75 plants which look good. This morning I cleared a bed which had previously had onion sets . I know this might not be protocol but space is space. Fingers crossed. We had the Casablanca potatoes for dinner last night and unfortunately they were only good for , either, mash or roast. Nice taste however. My first boiling of runners and peas went down well so all's good. I went for a wander through the sweet corn which has gone to great lengths to overcome my height and was pleased to see, on averidge, 3 flowering heads. Big onions are certainly looking to make a size  so again fingers crossed. We've a local show in about 5 weeks so need to get organised. Jok.

• Like 2

The good , the bad and the ugly.  My granddaughter loved it today as she had her wellies on. Weeding now a speciality. As you can see, sweet corn, courgettes , runner beans and large onions going well. Not so my leeks. Jok.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Garden up date. Tom's are great, Cucumbers thought I had over watered looking a bit sad, turns out I was under watering (same symptoms). Runners gone mad.

IMG_0545.jpeg.708a004721ed4c7d622effc1538e933a.jpeg

IMG_0551.jpeg.5498935e0bd8fadee812eb8c806748ff.jpeg

Carrots doing well.

IMG_0554.jpeg.8c0591ae4490e3786df2ce32dad6b5d1.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Am making loads of different chutneys with the available produce. The guys at the local loving it.  What I'm doing is picking all the courgettes at no more than 6 inch, runner beans as they get to about 9 inch and basically any other small produce. Makes a heck of a difference to the taste IMO. On the go, as we speak, is my first batch of piccalilli and an untried beetroot chutney. For the first time ever I've grown some cucumber plants which are looking amazing. Again good for the chutneys. All in all not bad. Jok.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...