So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

Not totally convinced as ,in your pics, the grub is on the outside of the bulb. These little beggars are right in the heart of the bulb. Not discounting anything though, just need a solution. Spoke to an eminent gardener who says that the origins are Poland, wind swept to Ireland and progressed to our shores. He says it's a moth whilst yours is a fly. Either way we don't want them but at the moment nobody seems to be able to give an answer. Jok.

• Like 1

Tomato's doing well. Just an update daily about the blight resistant ones I'm growing.

This is Crimson Crush F1 say's it's for outdoor but I'm growing in the green house. Blight resistant.

IMG_0342.jpeg.c93b3baaa8e50381991c741e2475ef6f.jpeg

This is Mountain Magic F1 indoor or out door much small tomatoes. Blight resistant.

IMG_0355.jpeg.67d05f80ab7fd5d82cf0c414c91a65b7.jpeg

This is Shirley F1 and has a touch of early blight which I've ordered some Copper Sulphate to stay on top of. Don't laugh at my bits of net and string its to stop the truss hitting the ground and spoiling.

IMG_0344.jpeg.54982753e1f28a507bb07636d802e86b.jpeg

Along with Shirley the Sun Gold both have slight early blight but the other two are clean. So seems to do what it says.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Blooming Eck Arry, we haven't even got flowers on our toms up here. Still waiting on the runners to climb the sticks ffs. The only thing harvested so far are early spuds and over wintering cabbage. Jok.

1 minute ago, jok said:

Blooming Eck Arry, we haven't even got flowers on our toms up here. Still waiting on the runners to climb the sticks ffs. The only thing harvested so far are early spuds and over wintering cabbage. Jok.

Been funny old year mate need some bloody sunshine. Do plant me Toms early mind, had a cracking row of lettuce weather must have suited them. Bean I've staggered more this  year pinched the first 4 runners out foot from top rail this morning they will still go over the top, if you get what I mean. I don't grow spuds haven't got much ground and bloody blight is a bugger round here. Cabbage root fly is my biggest problem at the moment, all sent to try us gardeners though Lol.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Possibly you meant carrot root fly. We , I think, have overcome this by growing carrots in elevated stacking boxes. Apparently more than 7 inches above normal ground level gives you a bit of a chance. It's this blinking Alium moth that's a real problem. We get round pigeons, snails and slugs, ants, mice, cats, two legged thieves, shed breakers, barrow pinching,badgers , muntjac, and a committee who don't want you to water and still manage a dinner on the table. As you say, all sent to try us. Jok.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jok said:

Possibly you meant carrot root fly. We , I think, have overcome this by growing carrots in elevated stacking boxes. Apparently more than 7 inches above normal ground level gives you a bit of a chance. It's this blinking Alium moth that's a real problem. We get round pigeons, snails and slugs, ants, mice, cats, two legged thieves, shed breakers, barrow pinching,badgers , muntjac, and a committee who don't want you to water and still manage a dinner on the table. As you say, all sent to try us. Jok.

No mate it is Cabbage root fly the feckers even using collars I usually lose a few. Carrot fly I use hoops and Micro Mesh bloody good stuff. If you go back a few pages you will see I made cloche up using light weld mesh and Micro Mesh, I have two, so handy. I would highly recommend them grew the lettuce under them, I have put fleece on as well before now as well as the Micro to keep frost off. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Carrot cover. I think I'm very lucky with the weather down here and I do appreciate it.

IMG_0357.jpeg.edb1f5c4a4803b4b3f0269c8d72d8152.jpeg

Runners you can see the stagger in the first four and the second four.

IMG_0360.jpeg.a81dce1b83990dcebc46626a01fca6cc.jpeg

First ones flowering on the bottom but lower ones don't usually come to much but there seems to be loads of bees around this year.

IMG_0362.jpeg.9502697dde00288eba1fed9c82913340.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
On 17/06/2019 at 14:11, jok said:

Eh up VFR Them onions are shallots. Glad you've had a boiling of spuds. Jok.

No they is red onions and block onions , they grow in to a medium sized onion that stores very well , you get 3 or 4 in each block I will put a pic up when they bigger, 

1 hour ago, vfr400boy said:

No they is red onions and block onions , they grow in to a medium sized onion that stores very well , you get 3 or 4 in each block I will put a pic up when they bigger, 

Sounds interesting would like to see some photos mate.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1