So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

57 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

My cucumbers are getting too big for the windowsill, is it too early to move into the greenhouse? Unheated.

IMG-20190426-WA0002.jpg

Mine been in the green house for two weeks, mind I'm right down south west. You could always cover in fleece if you got a cold night, I think the soil in the green house warms up and acts like a night storage heater.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

Been out with the hoe this morning, took a few shots on the phone aways good for recording dates etc.

IMG_0224.jpeg.208a0f8ba8ca774b2d9887a3656eba35.jpeg

First half dozen Runners Beans planted will wrap micro mesh around tonight.

IMG_0241.jpeg.c6ccbd7411b7b3b41f884039644d2e37.jpeg

Carrots are up.

IMG_0240.jpeg.2c0b8c48cc8c51d42c64c8b435341fa2.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

Toms (that one Sun gold) are forming and doing well Cucumbers starting to move last weeks cool weather checked them a bit.

IMG_0231.jpeg.922bc6ed34f4eaad265c436289d469ee.jpeg

IMG_0246.jpeg.b905f35e1fc82c870c67a4900c728097.jpeg

Hoed the Purple Sprouting.

IMG_0244.jpeg.82a48051390c1799764bec6082daf02e.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Terryd I know you like purple sprouting and any of you like minded lads. I've been trying to remember a variety that I grew which had an early harvest right through the winter months, well came to me and I've ordered some. It's not to late to sow, if any body is interested

https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/broccoli-red-admiral/classid.2000021724/

Already got two varieties in "Blaze F1" should harvests from August to early December and "Claret F1" which harvests March to June (mine finished April this year.

"Red Admiral F1" should fill that gap it harvests October to March.

Cheers Arry 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I managed to plant out my brassicas and erect a suitable netting arrangement to prevent butterfly's so hopefully will all be good.

Also after chatting with my brother he told me he was giving his allotment up next year so have agreed to take it on and spent a few hours clearing a bit of his so that I can plant this year, whilst on the site where his allotment is spoke with a few old boys who told me there is a few plots up for grabs this would save the commute between my site and his?

Got sweet corn ready to plant out tomorrow.

Edited by Gooner
Added a bit
  • Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Eh up son. Just having my first boiling of new potatoes with cabbage and lamb shank. To be fair things are looking good. All the usual salad bits and bobs going great. Greenhouse flourishing. Put in a lot of leek plants this morning and another row of peas. Unfortunately we have the dreaded Alium Leaf Miner among the onions so bad news there. Set out a range of brassicas but the pigeon soon sorted them out. Also trying a few new herb varieties which should make my faggots very tasty. The new potatoes are a new on e on me , Jazzy. 2nd early salad variety. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Might be an idea to share, on here, ways of combatting the various pests and problems we all have trying to grow vegetables. I'll start off by saying that the Alium Leaf moth is a huge problem. As of lately, an insecticide called Bandhu was available but has been taken off the market.  What has replaced it for the domestic gardener? Mice. The little blighters are under the peas and just about everywhere else. How to cope? Ants in the peas. Powder or something else? Cabbage white butterfly? Yes netting is obvious but can we do anything else? Slugs and snails? As of next year the blue pellets will be banned. Do we stock up or find another deterrent? Club root? Surely in this day and age the farmers have been given the sprays to combat this evil. Are we able to access the cure? Cats? I've bought the sonar deterrent which appears to be working but what else can we do? Obviously the list is endless and we don't all live in Kew Gardens or Sandringham where wages allow the protection of all that's good. Ideas??Jok

• Like 1