So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Eh up Terry d.  How are you pal? I am still at it and like yourself got my earlies in this weekend. Everything is looking good other than my allotment is as dry as the Gobi Desert. With the price of spuds going through the roof and my continued use of onions I have decided that this is where I'm going. Brassicas can take a hike and also, following a very successful open air crop of tomatoes, my greenhouses will be more focused  on chillis and peppers. As in the past I'll put up some pics as I go on. Glad this thread is still going strong. Jok.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Going good jok cheers. I was thinking similar this year with pepper and chilli's never sure how much space peppers and that need or what soil they need. Better have a read up

Edited by terryd
  • Thanks 1

Anyone ever heard of blind daffs?  I've had this pot of daffs for over ten years, and not once have they thrown a flower, tried them in all the known soil and peat based mediums for bulbs, and nothing.  I thought they were to small at first, so I let them grow on, and on, and on.  And just like the three blind mice, they're still blind.  They reproduce new bulbs, but these seem to be blind too.  I've never know this before,  anyone any ideas on how to make them flower?

100_7808.JPG

100_7807.JPG

100_7810.JPG

100_7809.JPG

5 minutes ago, terryd said:

Never heard of it but I guess you have read this 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=658  

Yep, tried all those remedies too.  They have been in the ground, in the sun, in the shade, organic feed, the lot, think I'm going to give up and bin them.  I just have this vision of them growing well on the edge of our local land fill after I out them. lol 

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, stealthy1 said:

Yep, tried all those remedies too.  They have been in the ground, in the sun, in the shade, organic feed, the lot, think I'm going to give up and bin them.  I just have this vision of them growing well on the edge of our local land fill after I out them. lol 

Seem to remember Monty Don saying it happens if bulbs aren't planted deep enough?

Before throwing them why not plant in a border or other area and see if they flower next spring

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Gooner said:

Seem to remember Monty Don saying it happens if bulbs aren't planted deep enough?

Before throwing them why not plant in a border or other area and see if they flower next spring

Tried all sorts to get them going,  Just put them out in a nice sized planter this year, still no flowers. lol  

• Like 1
On 01/04/2019 at 21:27, Gooner said:

funnily enough ive crocuses and daffs doing the same and i was suspecting they werent deep enough 

• Like 2

Don't know if is of any interest but I use Bog roles and an Mushroom contained for bringing on Runner Bean seed on, you get great root structure. Shall grow half a row of new seed plants and half a row from last years tubers still in the ground. Both "White Lady" did very well last year.

IMG_0194.jpeg.3c1274e766cbac0c83863e929c029b9a.jpeg

IMG_0195.jpeg.4791238c381cfc5838175ade4f5297f1.jpeg

Tomato's doing well topped the pots up this week and put my strings up.

IMG_0198.jpeg.3333d7dfd41a4d35446a4f31011754c1.jpeg

Two Cucumber for this year "Passandra F1 and Mini Munch F1" both small 4" to 6" long fruits.

IMG_0208.jpeg.9ff732ee846d234499459e767c158df2.jpeg

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 3

Not much left to feed on, some Purple Sprouting and my last Leek, that Hungry Gap Kale is still going but scruffy because I just scattered it and racked it in. It tastes really good and buttery and you can grow it just about any time you have a space, got 100grams of seed for about £3 for a farmer outlet.IMG_0201.jpeg.90f277e04ddec18a31416ee1fd539ff1.jpeg

IMG_0200.jpeg.589d86f8ddeca5a5808a5a07ef611672.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

I do the same with the beans Arry. I like to start as much off as I can in what ever as sowing direct unless you can visit every night never really pays off. Though stuff like carrots, parsnips have to go for it

• Like 1

Got misen an electric tiller 70quid off ebay, right little tool. My No dig bed from last year just got completely overtaken by weeds so I lifted it all. Top came straight off to where I had put the cardboard. The ground underneath was like concrete probably due to the 13.5t JCB I had running round the garden few years back. Fork would barely go in, little tiller chewed straight through it. 

1 old bed done 4 to go and maybe add some more.

rps20190422_074045.jpg

rps20190422_074109.jpg

rps20190422_074058.jpg

• Like 3