So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Well got a few spaces, lettuces have finish not going to put in more and Sugar Snaps Finnish a while ago. I was thinking of something to put in and got the idea off the farmers, their very short of winter fodder down here. Some have used all the winter fodder getting through the summer due to the dry weather. Any way some have put in a kale called "Hungry Gap" (remember filling a purse net when I was out ferreting as a lad)after ripping up the stubble, it grows quick and its cut and come again. So went out to the farm suppliers asked if they had any, how much do you want was the reply?all I want is a packet I said I'm not a farmer, smallest they did was a 100 grams, christ how much is that? £2.50. Ha ha I'll have some of that. Gave some to different neighbours to try etc. Going put it in any gaps I've got. You can be picking in 50 to 60 days got to be worth a try, better to eat after its had a frost on it. If you interested have a read.

https://www.seedaholic.com/kale-hungry-gap.html

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Well that "Hungry Gap Kale" is up already, I am surprised, I put it in on Tuesday just chucked it down and raked it it. Its come up a bit thick but thats no problem I'll let it come on a bit then just thin it out.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Dry time this time of year the chillies are ripening thick n fast the super hots ? are nearing ther  time  , been oven drying a few  Habs lately and these last orange Habs are paying a visit to the top oven, not long and the Borg 9 and nagas are ready it’s been a great year and plenty have been given and plenty are stored ??

B2A05F44-5158-4164-8BAC-8A9BEA63BF12.jpeg

BC01F299-3D37-4F8C-B2C6-8C14C0EA198F.jpeg

29E5A0CA-9E36-41E7-A6D4-C0C430C68AAD.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably the last Runners another frost this morning. Still my Leeks have picked up since July, they weren't moving much so gave them a feed and I'm quite pleased now.

P1200447.jpg.b5cf868482e0598107789e1b65eeb02b.jpg

Go with the roast Lamb tonight.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

My veg plot and green house went to sh*t this year. 

Guna give it next couple months proper prep, rebuild my beds, I wasn't happy with these ones. Keep turning em over and dig in some rotted horse muck from a neighbour. Hopefully give it a better go next year.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That’s it I aim to grow xmas dinner every year we will be having our own leeks parsnips cabbage apple sprouts onion eggs and I made green tomato chutney in summer, I try to rear our own meat but I did not manage that this year 

Have a good xmas lads 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well VFR  I just got back from fetching some parsnips and I'd better not put a pic up.lol. One of them I managed to nearly get to the bottom of the root and , to be fair, it's a good un. I hope you and yours, with the new sprog, have a lovely Christmas. Speak to you, no doubt, in the New year. Jok.

• Like 1