So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

I was looking for a variety of potato to grow next year when I came across this site, there seem to be a lot of new gardeners on here this year so I thought it may be helpful to some one.

http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/index.php

There is an automatic wiget on there where you type in where you live and it gives the optimum dates for planting in your area.

TC

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

I was looking for a variety of potato to grow next year when I came across this site, there seem to be a lot of new gardeners on here this year so I thought it may be helpful to some one.

http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/index.php

There is an automatic wiget on there where you type in where you live and it gives the optimum dates for planting in your area.

TC

thanks for that tiercel ,that'll get me through this evening :D

Struggling there my self I hung some in the house last year and they went off quite quick but the ones in my shed out side which is plastic and suffers from condensation kept really well. bUt we did use them quite quick any way

So this year I might just knock up a water proof lean too and hang them under that

Edited by terryd

Choosing what onions to store is a big part of getting it right. Any onion without a thin neck should be used straight away and not stored. It also depends on the variety of the onion to be stored, some are better than others. Red onions are very difficult to store, why I do not have a clue.

I was always told to store in nets in a cool airy place once dried, but for the amount I grew they would never last till Xmas as I would have run out by then.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/onion/storing-onions.htm

a basic synopsis of storing onions

TC

Hope I can help here even if just a little. Think French and you'll be on the right track. String about 30 inches long with a 4 inch stick at the end. Your first onion twisted by the neck round the string and pulled down. Second onion exactly the same and pulled down. Gradually you will build up a string of onions which dry of there own accord as the necks are sealed by the twisting. I reckon I'm making a meal of this so will resort to pics as I pick mine. Jok.

Nice one Terry. Thing is. Let the onions dry for a while before stringing and maybe , just maybe, you'll get a better string. Last year I had 2 strings which lasted until February before starting to regrow. Note. Not rot but regrow. My brother in law gifted me some Kelsie to about 3 lbs which I also stringed. Wrong.Wrong. Big onions seem not to like it and rot quite quickly. Someone told me to store big onions stem down in sand which apparently prolongs their life. Jok.

Nice one Terry. Thing is. Let the onions dry for a while before stringing and maybe , just maybe, you'll get a better string. Last year I had 2 strings which lasted until February before starting to regrow. Note. Not rot but regrow. My brother in law gifted me some Kelsie to about 3 lbs which I also stringed. Wrong.Wrong. Big onions seem not to like it and rot quite quickly. Someone told me to store big onions stem down in sand which apparently prolongs their life. Jok.

How long drying jok then best place to hang them ..?