So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Busy evening got me new plot strimmed and a compost heap on the go. Giving the old compost a bit of thought nowadays.

35590250001_36416896d1_b.jpg

all I got to do now is dig the sod over

34911775703_0427510275_b.jpg

nice to have the two next to each other very convenient

35552489102_3848e200d0_b.jpg

35721333405_e21a5ac76c_b.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Busy evening got me new plot strimmed and a compost heap on the go. Giving the old compost a bit of thought nowadays.

35590250001_36416896d1_b.jpg

all I got to do now is dig the sod over

34911775703_0427510275_b.jpg

nice to have the two next to each other very convenient

35552489102_3848e200d0_b.jpg

35721333405_e21a5ac76c_b.jpg

I've a couple of those Darlek type compost bins, really good they are. Lucky to get the plot next to yours.

• Like 2

Terry mate. Mate mate. You are looking at a load of grief. Get the spray on the go now. Forget the digging because you'll end up spreading the roots. Kill the mothers before they seed. Better a clean garden than one filled with avoidable weeds. Only a thought pal. Jok.

• Like 1

Don't worry jok I have a cunning plan. I am turning over a new leaf or not as the case maybe lol.

Nice cauli today timed it right. They are a sod all coming at once and looked rough once they get discoloured and nibbled

35010091113_328a44b320_c.jpg

• Like 5

Had a quick harvest this morning , first of the runners for me , few more broad and French beans more beets ( grown miles to many ) more courgettes ...I'll end up doing what I do most years giving half of it away ?post-81636-0-98206000-1499685354_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Spoken like a true gardener. We are all the same and do this year after year. Mind you they don't complain down the local. I can't believe you are so far in front with your beans. All of us are struggling this year and certainly no one has yet picked a dinner. Everything else has been superb but, yes, struggling with the beans. .

How big are your beetroot? I think ours were planted too close together maybe, they're pretty small at the moment

Average about 31/2inch dia ..some a bit bigger some a bit smaller ..the yellow ones have grown even quicker ..

• Like 1

How big are your beetroot? I think ours were planted too close together maybe, they're pretty small at the moment

Average about 31/2inch dia ..some a bit bigger some a bit smaller ..the yellow ones have grown even quicker ..

Thanks, I'll measure ours, maybe I was just expecting them to be bigger, next year I'd like to try some different types

Well Nik I'm happy to report that none of mine have gone above a couple of inches. When I set the seed I had this in mind. It only takes a few moments to place the seed instead of randomly chucking it in. Now the last lot I've put in were placed to . promote a larger beet which, hopefully, will be ready mid October. Trial and error my good friend. Know what though? They still taste brilliant no matter the size. Is that not why we do what we do? Jok.

• Like 2

Well Nik I'm happy to report that none of mine have gone above a couple of inches. When I set the seed I had this in mind. It only takes a few moments to place the seed instead of randomly chucking it in. Now the last lot I've put in were placed to . promote a larger beet which, hopefully, will be ready mid October. Trial and error my good friend. Know what though? They still taste brilliant no matter the size. Is that not why we do what we do? Jok.

I'm not sure they should have been in the greenhouse but like you say trial and error. We've cropped the peas and removed the plans and might crop all the beetroot to make space for something else.

Do you know what can we still plant now? I think peas and I was thinking lettuce in the greenhouse where it's safer from the bugs

Thanks, I'll measure ours, maybe I was just expecting them to be bigger, next year I'd like to try some different types

Those yellow beet are quick growers and they do not bleed like the red beets. The quickest beets I have found for growing are the white beetroot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=white+beetroot&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=SA153SN&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Taste nice as well.

TC