So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Well son, as it happens, I've jus t been gifted a greenhouse from MattyG on here, which to my astonishment has gone back together ok, and will be putting tomato, cucumber and chilli plants in next week. So I guess the answer from me is, go for it. The least you can end up with are green toms and you can make some chutney. Nice addition to my allotment Terry which was stonewalled originally because of glass. I'm eating like a king at the moment and no sign yet of the dreaded. Jok.

• Like 1

Got the strimmer back and getting on top of things, chipper was fired up for the first time today, it's great, for a while I wasn't sure if it was overkill but there is no way I could dispose of our garden waste with once every two weekly green bin collections, I've been burning and cutting a single giant holy bush for weeks and I cannot get rid of the waste even using the neighbours bins.

The wife has picked some cucumber and courgette for a salad, the lettuce is being decimated by caterpillars (I think?) and slugs but everything else is going well, we have some raspberries on the new bush as well.

Everything is hurting which can only be a good sign :laugh:

P.S Will most birds have left their nests by now? I have loads to get through but I don't want to disturb any fledglings.

Them lettuce look lovely and clean all ways a good selling point with the family that. I grew some butterball lettuce this year and won't be again. They are a magnet for the little slugs getting in. I grew some others as well nice and crispy much better

slugs been on the rampage and decimated me runners which were looking good

35269470376_0b908aba90_b.jpg

strawberries get a good nibbling as well. Nothing sacred :laugh:

35269468576_b798277485_b.jpg

ready for the caterpillars though :boxing:

35309787275_9915837feb_b.jpg

• Like 2

Nick. Found out the other day that the government don't allow farmers to clip their hedges till September. Load of bollocks but hey. I like my wildlife and don't think cutting a hedge bothers them much. I've still blackbirds, a robin and numerous finches visiting so get on it pal. Jok.

• Like 1

Nick. Found out the other day that the government don't allow farmers to clip their hedges till September. Load of bollocks but hey. I like my wildlife and don't think cutting a hedge bothers them much. I've still blackbirds, a robin and numerous finches visiting so get on it pal. Jok.

Thanks Jok I am not trimming I am going to be cutting right back and decimating in places as this garden has been left to run wild for a few years. I have another holy which is almost a tree so that has to go, like the last one I will cut a hole in and get in there to have a look and see if there are any nests but I would imagine they have all flown the nest by now.

I recon we should be in the clear but thought I'd check since I am no expert.

Get on with it pal. Just as an aside. Do not burn the holly. To a wood lathe man it is, in the future, a very valuable wood. Also, any Sookers, (Scottish) long straight branches are well sought after. Jok.

• Like 1

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Premier-Seeds-Direct

All seeds germinated well and growing well , so far , all but the f1 sweet corn only half germinated , free postage on over 8 packets, and discount on ten plus ,

I bought some collard seeds from them this year, and they were last years seeds. I sowed fifteen seeds and twelve came up so not too bad.

TC

Blimey it's like Day of the Triffids in the greenhouse I can't believe how fast everything has come on!

Our lettuce is getting decimated by something, there are lots of small holes in the middle of the leaves, not being munched on from the edges, that isn't slugs is it?

A few cucumbers at home :toast:

34513777494_2067343eed_c.jpg

lots of tumbling toms though the plants don't look overly happy

34969601360_fabb8a8ea5_c.jpg

then we have marmade, superb and maybe a roma or two

35317249386_ba504f406d_c.jpg

34546738963_5b26db3c51_c.jpg

more tumbling and some purple spouting which i need to get up the plot and some beetroot

35226985351_d2f2c0500b_c.jpg

need to sow some savoy sharpish but I struggle to get brassica going this time of year.

• Like 4