So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Terry you have made a big mistake. Take the horse radish out of your garden before it's too late. The FCKG stuff grows worse than mint and you will have nowt but problems getting rid. Stick it in the hedgerow where you can dig the roots at will. Better still, just dig it where it is already established. I love the stuff but it is a pain in the arse. Jok.

My eyes are burning. :laugh:

• Like 1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

Yes Stealthy. The FCKG thing hurts like hell when you you stupidly put your swede over the blender. Even the dog tries to get outside. Lol. Mind you pal, it's worth it in the end. Sunday roast with homemade HR. Proper. Jok.

Started a no dig bed today not sure why by the time i faffed about with cardboard and dig compost out me over grown heap I was knackered. Only got a little bit done as well. Could have dug half the plot by then :laugh: But we like to try these things

32950195304_5edc73d159_c.jpg

and we just had a general tidy up with the strimmer and done some weeding as too wet today but should be good to go tomorrow night

33636963032_549e76c0e2_c.jpg

33752346786_ac052e74f5_c.jpg

• Like 4

terry NO DIG has worked for me a treat over the last 3 years "keep at it its worth the initial effort :thumbs: " im badly screwed up with arthritis and for the last 2 seasons weeding has been measured in minutes literally ,crops are spot on, the first year weeding was as expected but this last 2 hardly owt to do "now running into the 4th"

• Like 1

I'm laughing a little here as just got back from Derby Royal having had another MRi scan. We clearly have a lot in common. My spine is, to put it politely, fckd. They are going in on May 24th either in my neck or lower spine which to be honest I'm not looking forward to as the the last one was sheer hell. I went down the allotment today and set 4 rows of main crop. Got my canes ready for runner beans, drank a magners or might have been 2. Know what?? This allotment is f***ing amazing. The guys and of late the girls are really putting it together. Fair play to them. Jok.

Devon. I think you know I won't go down without a fight. Trouble is it hurts like hell. My garden means a lot to me and to be honest a lot of people look to me for advice and guidance. Tony Glover has just gifted me 200 onion plants from his world record onion which I've handed out to our members. I'm not letting a bit of discomfort hold me back. I'll put some pics up in due course. Jok.

• Like 1

terry NO DIG has worked for me a treat over the last 3 years "keep at it its worth the initial effort :thumbs: " im badly screwed up with arthritis and for the last 2 seasons weeding has been measured in minutes literally ,crops are spot on, the first year weeding was as expected but this last 2 hardly owt to do "now running into the 4th"

Yes I can see the potential there. I have just set up one bed as a test. Basically whacked down some cardboard and soaked it then added a layer of compost. Not that deep but I will add to it. I guess initially I can plant shallow rooted stuff. One of my plots is heavy clay despite piling on manure and compost as much as I can. Blasted it with the rotavator yesterday for the third time and despite this great weather its still sticky lumps of soil. I could swap it for another plot but it has nice fruit bushes and a tidy shed so will be testing the NO DIG on it. That charles dowding makes it look good but he does seem to have a 100 ton of mushroom compost to play with lol

• Like 1

Rhubarb is doing well and herb garden is coming good.

Today put in Brussel sprouts , kale x 2 varieties , shallots , chard , lettuce . Still have carrots to put in but will wait a week or two .

I will get pic in the morning assuming bunnies , slugs and snails haven't had an all night rave

Here's my 12ft x 4ft raised bed. Second year using it. Shitty photos I know, I've put my pup next to it as a size comparison. I've divided it into 48 squares, I do like square foot gardening. Cram them in. I've planted onion, garlic and leeks in the front row. Carrots second row, parsnips behind them and new potatoes at the back. Will take better photos as things progress.

post-28208-0-02179200-1491933979_thumb.jpg

post-28208-0-05355200-1491934087_thumb.jpg

post-28208-0-93547100-1491934098_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That is interesting Mike be nice to see some pictures as it progresses. I have two plots and go by the law of averages some thing is bound to grow even if its a courgette lol

Last year I f****d up the layout of it. Had stuff shading other stuff because I didn't think about the layout enough, I also had far too much variety of things I don't really eat. Nice and simple this year, all root veg. Got a nice soil mix, plenty of fish blood and bone as it's high in phosphorus.