So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

the greenery is doing good with having the leaves taken for eating, while then growing more. The herbs the same - although some are needing to be be cut and then chopped and frozen, as there is too much to eat at once. New spuds are about done, main ones are doing ok. Onions are ok, but the carrots are not looking great - not sure why yet. Back to the books.

My curly kale is doing good the plants are quite big now when can i start cutting it ? And do I just cut the ends off ?

• Kale is ready to harvest when the leaves are about the size of your hand.
  • Pick about one fistful of leaves per harvest. Avoid picking the terminal bud (found at the top center of the plant) because this will help to keep the plant productive.
  • Kale will continue growing until it’s 20 degrees F. It tastes even sweeter with a touch of frost.
  • If you wish to extend your harvest, shield your kale from the cold with row covers. Or, create a makeshift cover with tarps and old blankets propped up by hay bales or something similar.
  • The small, tender leaves can be eaten uncooked and used in salads.
  • Cut and cook the larger leaves like spinach, but be sure to remove the ribs before cooking.
  • You can store kale as you would any other leafy green; put the kale in a plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator. It should last about 1 week.
  • Like 1

not an allotment I know but I find it interesting. Local farmers spuds

27301535194_221902438d_c.jpg

they went in really late or so I thought and just took off. Been sprayed a couple of times for blight I assume and the ground is covered in blue pellets which I guess is fertiliser. Also has field of beans and peas looking equally as lush. Quite funny how some one can get acres of some thing looking so good yet I struggle with a 6 foot row :laugh:

• Like 1