So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

You are right Arry yours look well happy in there In my case it was simply a matter of laziness lol. I use the scaffold netting which was on them but I sort of threw it on. If your going to net y

I think my spuds are going well? Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

Posted Images

Picked some veg for the father in law today still got loads of parsnips, leeks and sprouts so need to give some away . Also swedes but on the tennis ball size ones now

16122711219_3513bfbf7b.jpg

need to tidy the shed when I get a minute. A couple of rats took up residence under it but they are no longer with us :)

15688968683_d402949506.jpg

hung up a couple sticks too so I can try my hand at the stick making lark

15688977733_3aaacd17ca.jpg

• Like 3

Still producing the goods Terry :thumbs: I might have missed it but did you grow sweet potato this season if you did how did you go on?

I did start ones off using aldi normal ones on the window sill they looked good then started to get spots on the leaves may have been over crowding but when I planted them out they just never budged and died. May have just been the wrong variety for this climate

Terry, paint or wax the ends on the thick part of those sticks or they will split.

TC

Cheers Allan I will do

Im going to give growing veg a go this year. I can only really grow in pots though, i dont have any grass i could turn into a patch! I have ordered some books, but any ideas what i can start planting now? I know about onions but looking on a website they are saying cauliflower and leeks as well?

Im going to give growing veg a go this year. I can only really grow in pots though, i dont have any grass i could turn into a patch! I have ordered some books, but any ideas what i can start planting now? I know about onions but looking on a website they are saying cauliflower and leeks as well?

The thing I learnt last year is there is no panic to get out of the blocks stuff planted when the weather is right soon over takes any that as been struggling due to going in too soon. But from what I read onions need as long as possible from seed. Mine will have to from window sill to cold frame so bit hesitant to get them sown yet

Might be helpful :thumbs:

vegetables in containers

Planting vegetables in containers is a versatile way of growing edible crops in the garden, particularly where space is limited.

PUB0009083_915281.jpg
Quick facts

Suitable for Most vegetables, as long as the correct container is chosen
Timing All year round, but mostly from April to October
Difficulty Easy

Suitable for...

The following vegetables lend themselves well to container cultivation:

Beetroot, Broad beans, Carrots, Dwarf French beans, Herbs, Peas, Potatoes, Radishes, Rocket, Runner beans, Chillies & Peppers, Salad leaves, Salad onions, Salad turnips, Tomatoes.

When to grow vegetables in containers

Timings vary depending on the crop, but the main growing season is from early spring to autumn.

How to grow vegetables in containers
Container choice
  • Pots, troughs and grow-bags can all be used to allow gardeners without time or room for a vegetable plot to grow fresh, tasty produce
  • Container-grown vegetables can be started off in a glasshouse, conservatory or porch for earlier crops
  • Smaller containers can result in a lack of moisture and nutrients for plant roots. Aim for containers with a depth and width of at least 45cm (18in), otherwise frequent watering and feeding will be needed
Compost choice
  • Use sterile proprietary potting composts to obtain best results
  • The soil-based compost John Innes No 3 is especially easy to manage, but other composts, including peat-free varieties, are also suitable
  • Compost in grow-bags is often both good value and reasonable quality
  • Home made mixtures of two parts soil and one part well rotted organic matter fortified with extra fertiliser can be an economical substitute, but home-made mixtures are not sterile, so may pose a risk for pest and disease problems
  • Organic growers who wish to avoid fertiliser use can get good results from mixing well-rotted manure into the potting compost in the lower half of their containers – 20 percent by volume should be sufficient
Further care

Aftercare should involve provision of a constant water supply, but take care to avoid prolonged waterlogging. A feed of general-purpose liquid fertiliser can be applied every two weeks. If frost is likely, cover the plants with horticultural fleece and move the pots to a warm, sheltered spot.

Crop Selection

Rewarding vegetable crops for containers include:

• Beetroot: sow in March at 10cm (4in) spacings. The young leaves can be used as ‘spinach’. Follow these with quick growing crops of late summer salads. See AGM beetroot
  • Broad beans: sow from February at 20cm (8in) spacings. The tops can be pinched out to reduce blackfly attacks and also for use as ‘greens’. The broad beans can be followed in June or July with beetroot for late summer crops. See AGM beans and peas
  • Carrots: sow Nantes or Amsterdam cultivars from February for June harvesting. Thin seedlings to 8cm (3in) between plants. Cover the containers with fleece from April onwards to exclude carrot fly. After the carrots, sow French beans to gather in September. See AGM carrots
  • Herbs: parsley, for example, can be sown in March for harvesting from June; coriander is also an attractive and popular crop. Basil is another great herb for pots. Repeat crops can be sown for late summer harvest
  • Lettuces: mini lettuces such as ‘Little Gem’ and ‘Tom Thumb’, spaced at 15cm (6in), can be sown from January for June harvesting. Follow the lettuces with leeks for winter harvesting. See AGM lettuces
  • Peas: sow ‘mange-tout’ cultivars with edible pods from March; plant them out at 15cm (6in) spacings; harvest in June and follow with salad leaves for late summer. See AGM beans and peas
  • Potatoes: plant early cultivars from March with one tuber for every 30cm of pot diameter. See AGM potatoes
  • Salad leaves: sow from February aiming for 5cm (2in) between plants. Rocket, coriander, lettuce, chicory and spinach are tasty choices. Harvest by pinching off the top few salad leaves, leaving a stump to re-sprout for follow-on crops
  • Salad onions: sow from February with 3cm (1¼in) between plants. Pull them up when they get big enough. By July, you should be able to re-sow with finger carrots for bunches of baby carrots in October. See AGM onions
  • Spinach: sow from February aiming for 10cm (4in) between plants. Spinach quickly runs to seed, so follow it with courgettes in June for late summer fruits. See AGM spinach
Links

AGM vegetables
RHS Grow Your Own

Problems

Growing vegetables in containers are generally quite easy with the main problems being;

• Drying out is a common problem, so ensure a regular water supply, avoiding floods and droughts
  • Lack of root space can be a problem in small containers, and may result in wilting and symptoms of nutrient deficiency
Edited by darbo
  • Like 2

Not me just dropped few bags of manure off and I got a small bit of weed suppressant on order for me onion bed. Still lots of crops in at the moment too. Leeks, parsnips, swede, sprouts and purple sprouting. Need to turn over the compost heaps and weed the strawberry beds and weed in general. Too wet to get on there at the moment though

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

Mines all dug over a general tidy up. The first seeds i will sow will be onion seeds a first for me. Roll on spring. :thumbs:

Get them sown now. :yes: Sow them in modules in the cold greenhouse and just cover them with bubble wrap, they will germinate. Once they get their first true leaves pot them on to 3" pots, use a good compost.

TC

• Like 1