So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

I think my spuds are going well?

IMG-20140615-00917.jpg

Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

IMG-20140615-00918.jpg

They'll be jacket spuds by the time of the fishing comp ...............

• Like 1

I think my spuds are going well?

IMG-20140615-00917.jpg

Got some corn, some peas and beans going too, all new to this so no idea if they're growing well or not lol

IMG-20140615-00918.jpg

Looking good Johnny nice one. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Right lads, rhubarb?!

We had a brilliant crop two years ago, last year was poor, this year it came through with some vigour and I thought it'll be a good one, but it's stopped growing and a lot of the leaves are yellowing :cray:

Everything else is doing well, spuds coming up, strawberries (fecking loads) ripening, onions coming up, chive thickening...just rhubarb letting the team down lol

Right lads, rhubarb?!

We had a brilliant crop two years ago, last year was poor, this year it came through with some vigour and I thought it'll be a good one, but it's stopped growing and a lot of the leaves are yellowing :cray:

Everything else is doing well, spuds coming up, strawberries (fecking loads) ripening, onions coming up, chive thickening...just rhubarb letting the team down lol

Look up crown rot on google if you have not got this your plants may have become overcrowded and need to be divided again look it up it will explain how to do it better than i can. :thumbs:

Edited by darbo
  • Like 2
darbo, on 15 Jun 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

RubyTex, on 15 Jun 2014 - 9:35 PM, said:

Right lads, rhubarb?!

Look up crown rot on google if you have not got this your plants may have become overcrowded and need to be divided again look it up it will explain how to do it better than i can. :thumbs:

:thumbs: 99% certain it's crown rot. Fantastic. Rip it out and change the soil? It's in a massive pot so not too much trouble.

darbo, on 15 Jun 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

RubyTex, on 15 Jun 2014 - 9:35 PM, said:

Right lads, rhubarb?!

:thumbs: 99% certain it's crown rot. Fantastic. Rip it out and change the soil? It's in a massive pot so not too much trouble.

yes put in some stones at the bottom of the pot to aid drainage. :thumbs:

Had about 6 kg of strawberries so far so got sum jam sorted.

Also tried the rhubarb cake dam nice too

14288380660_8b9d5ba0f7_b.jpg

14473809994_0802452f06_b.jpg

courgettes starting to come now

14292531620_94a7135b45_b.jpg

squash starting to shape up

14292573778_c783a52a0a_b.jpg

My third sowing of broad beans coming along nice

14292525040_f9dd208b3c_b.jpg

parsnips are thriving

14292544110_831e50c9fb_b.jpg

sweet corn lost a few to slugs but the rest are ok so far

14479168995_e628e79e32_b.jpg

runner beans I cut down on them this year still plenty in the freezer from last year

14477973944_e6884f700d_b.jpg

got some peas past the mice in the end

14292736997_cee9d1532d_b.jpg

and this my mates plot I don't know how he does it

14475769781_0105aeebb5_b.jpg

• Like 7

Very productive , I had handful of strawberries, slugs ste my carrot seedlings and half my chard seedlings by looks of it, and wife dogs ate some of the sprouting spinach. :(

Your not alone that was the high lights the downs have been new spuds full of holes, Beetroot not germinating very well so took the module root which works. Endless planting of peas that the mice had before I soaked in paraffin.

Caulis that I suspect will end up like marbles and as for carrots no comment :laugh:

But the wins more than make up for it :thumbs:

Is this corn growing ok, I'm new to all this so I'm not sure if I'm over watering or not, it just seems that the leaves seem to be stretching and I was told it could be from too much water but was also told in this hot weather we're having they like water. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbs:

IMG-20140623-00938.jpg

IMG-20140623-00940.jpg

IMG-20140623-00941.jpg

• Like 4

Is this corn growing ok, I'm new to all this so I'm not sure if I'm over watering or not, it just seems that the leaves seem to be stretching and I was told it could be from too much water but was also told in this hot weather we're having they like water. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbs:

IMG-20140623-00938.jpg

IMG-20140623-00940.jpg

IMG-20140623-00941.jpg

Those look very healthy to me Johnny. Nowt wrong with those.

As a side note I tried carrots in a container this year, in among the mint, hoping to hide them from the carrot fly. :no: :no: the buggers still found them.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

IMG-20140623-00938.jpg

IMG-20140623-00940.jpg

IMG-20140623-00941.jpg

Those look very healthy to me Johnny. Nowt wrong with those.

As a side note I tried carrots in a container this year, in among the mint, hoping to hide them from the carrot fly. :no: :no: the buggers still found them.

TC

Cheers Al. :thumbs:

I've got some mint growing in a container too.

Gonna have to post some pics... Ive tomatoes, courgettes and sunflowers in porch along with 1 chilli plant and 1 sweet potato (pup got in and destroyed a few plants last month) ive potatoes in a bathtub and sweetcorn in a bucket (was late planting so it doesnt look like much, more tomatoes in an old bin (very runty so dont expect anything from them) more sunflowers in containers, and cape gooseberry in my bedroom on a windowsill