Need A New Dog ?

Hi all,

I have a beagle, lovely dog, tried to train him in many ways to recall, dog treats, whistles etc but to no avail.

As soon as he picks up a scent he's off like a train and you don't see him for 20 minutes.

Anyway I will be looking for another dog to accompany me on air rifle shooting days and nights for bunnies, pigeons etc.

Oh a quiet dog would be nice, the beagle loves a bark and a howl :nono:

What would you recommend?

Worz

You are going to have to make some tough decisions. You have a hound and as a hound he has certain instincts and it sounds like they all work, you don't teach them to hunt they have been doing that for hundreds of years, you have to teach him to hunt what you want, getting another dog is like getting another car, do you want it for off road? To go fast? Look good? When you know what you want a dog to do post and advice for the right dog would come flowing in.

But a young dog will learn from your current dog so if he is picking up a line and running off the new dog will follow unless your on the ball with training. So you need to be aware you will have to do a lot of training, with both new and current hope you have the time. But good luck anyway