What's The Best Rimfire For Rabbits And F0Xs

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, ALL my rimfires are conditioned for Fox, but many regions will not have that, I have no idea how NI views this!   Today I would suggest a WMR with 30g V Max as the option to go for in answer to

I can't help thinking what you should really be saying is use the appropriate tool for the specific job!   .22lr   .17HMR   .22WMR     :thumbs:

The difference here is that I do use the right tool for the job, I have a .223 and a.243 and a .308, those above were shot with the right tool in the situation!   So were these!   .22lr, .... ju

Posted Images

Ok, ALL my rimfires are conditioned for Fox, but many regions will not have that, I have no idea how NI views this!

Today I would suggest a WMR with 30g V Max as the option to go for in answer to your specific question! I paid £11 box for the last lot of this ammo, so its a very similar price to HMR and flies well to!

Lots of people will have a view and many will suggest a rimfire isn't a Fox calibre, that is daft without further qualification, NO fox will survive a 30g V Max WMR within its operating range, if you want looooooong foxes then a rimfire isn't for you today!

BUT, the .17 Win Mag has just been announced, don't expect to see any in this country until the summer AT LEAST, but if we can believe half of what we hear about it, it may make a useful Fox calibre!!

• Like 1

I think if you want a rimfire for rabbit & fox Providing you dont try hitting them at silly ranges the .22 would be my choice. if you hit them (foxes) front box with a .22hv it will kill them,they are cheap to buy, cheap to run. Put a decent scope on whatever you buy it will pay dividends Good luck

With 17hmr I got 5/6 headshots on bunnies on shooting sticks havnt reallie used a 22 properly zerod yet but know there harder to shoot as the projectile doesn't fly as straight but having your own is diffrent to shooting someone elses so unsure what to go for to be honnest

With 17hmr I got 5/6 headshots on bunnies on shooting sticks havnt reallie used a 22 properly zerod yet but know there harder to shoot as the projectile doesn't fly as straight but having your own is diffrent to shooting someone elses so unsure what to go for to be honnest

22lr is fine to shoot...laser accurate when zeroed at 50 yards what more do you want at night...you will mostly be seeing rabbits..and really cheap to run.quite...

17 hmr. Loud even with a jet z mod....two or three times the price to run than a 22lr....more fun because they have better range..effected by wind at the extremes of range....

I can't remember the calibre between the the 22 and 17 hmr but iv shot it a lot and again it was fun

Another valid point is ricochet.....iv had it with 22 subs off a rabbit's head...not had it with the hmr...

22lr is fine to shoot...laser accurate when zeroed at 50 yards what more do you want at night...you will mostly be seeing rabbits..and really cheap to run.quite...

17 hmr. Loud even with a jet z mod....two or three times the price to run than a 22lr....more fun because they have better range..effected by wind at the extremes of range....

I can't remember the calibre between the the 22 and 17 hmr but iv shot it a lot and again it was fun

Another valid point is ricochet.....iv had it with 22 subs off a rabbit's head...not had it with the hmr...

ive had ricochet`s with an hmr :yes:

Me too Paulus at least 3/4 in the last few months when scoping up,usually wet grass or really short grass in the pasture,is the cause,prob had many over the years,it should never cause a problem if people that worry about it have a good back stop,and as for the fox shooting,its good enough if the shooter is sensible,I prefer to take the cf but for shot range fox shooting the hmr comes in handy,I've never shot one with the .22 so can't comment,they have always been a bit too far away,just go small cf,

Atb

Obvously main 2 are the 22 and 17 is there any other rim fires on the market that would b a suitable candidate? For all I will be shooting running costs are not a big issue thanks in advance

Don't worry, you will end up with both anyway, trust me :victory: :victory:

Our area specifies fox against rimfires so it's fine.

You want a .22 for the bunnies, it's the best and hardest worked tool in the box and I don't think anyone here will tell you different. Get within 80 yrds, which is usually easy and it's the tool for the job.

When you want a bit more of a challenge and shooting big numbers of rabbits isn't the aim, then I say is the time for an HMR or similar, great for long range rabbits and fantastic for crows.

I'd suggest as many others that you don't deliberately go out for foxes with either, but, and I think this is where you will be, if you have any number of rabbits and you favour "sniping" them (my preferred method), you will come across the odd fox at close range. I've shot a few that were picking up rabbits I'd dropped earlier. Either of the 2 will do the job under those circumstances, plus the fox won't know what killed it. :thumbs:

Obvously main 2 are the 22 and 17 is there any other rim fires on the market that would b a suitable candidate? For all I will be shooting running costs are not a big issue thanks in advance

Rimfire for bunnies centre fire for charlie. But the thats just my own opinion.

They are not a proper Fox shooting tool,buy a .22 cf.

I can't help thinking what you should really be saying is use the appropriate tool for the specific job!

post-10759-0-01900200-1359384285_thumb.jpg

.22lr

post-10759-0-53029000-1359384350.jpg

.17HMR

post-10759-0-80031500-1359384456.jpg

.22WMR

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1