Wild Polecats

right lads ,heres a question,how many of you have come across a truly wild polecat whilst ferreting , i see quite a few dead on the roadside & yes i would say they are wild polecats not escapees .especially around wales ,i had a right do ,i worked a big warren & ferrets bolted several rabbits into the nets ,after about half an hour my jill backed out the hole hissing tail stuck up like a scrubbing brush , stoat i thought ,i picked her up and the biggest polecat ive ever seen looked at me then shot back down the hole its head was huge i waited around for a good while but it never showed again ,, ?? cheers pete

Saw one too mate when I was younger about 15 years ago me and my mate went to a warren and put two albinos in a hob and a jill both come running out screaming and a little polecat popped its head out and that's the last we saw of it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it only took three months....to tame a wild polecat.... :laugh:   just to add....... :laugh:

So basically ,, it was Scottish ?

i live by an oldchurch earl one morning as i drove by i saw a wildpolecat running with a kit in her mouth across the cemetary i stoped the landy jumped out hoped over the wall as she saw me and legged

a got one in a purs net one day this whas a monster a toke him home and toke about three months be for a coud handil him my hob and him must have bean fighting in the hole the both were very mest up but he heald whell and a thot if a coude bread him with my jill and it workd then put him back in the wild fighting fit and very healthy so now ave got my on stok of semy wild polcats lovey looking things

what do you do with these semi wild polecats?

let me get this right you caught him in a purse net , tamed him ,mated him ,released him , and now have breeding stock . are you for real get some pics up or your talking shit

• Like 1

Saw 2 in all my life, both in the west mids.One chaced my Jills out of a warren 5 years back. They refused to go back in after . Bloody great big thing really dark markings and the other came along the hedgerow in to a fox call out lamping last winter lol. Come within feet of us in the pickup then realised and done one !!!!!! Nice to see tho

a got one in a purs net one day this whas a monster a toke him home and toke about three months be for a coud handil him my hob and him must have bean fighting in the hole the both were very mest up but he heald whell and a thot if a coude bread him with my jill and it workd then put him back in the wild fighting fit and very healthy so now ave got my on stok of semy wild polcats lovey looking things

let me get this right you caught him in a purse net , tamed him ,mated him ,released him , and now have breeding stock . are you for real get some pics up or your talking shit

it only took three months....to tame a wild polecat.... :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

just to add....... :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 3

it only took three months....to tame a wild polecat.... :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

just to add....... :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tickled you that Rob? :laugh:
Guest thebigdog

Rathlin island off the coast of ireland is full of wild looking ferrets .are they the same breed.

they are feral ferrets, they were released about 15 years ago to control the rabbit numbers, there is a population in north monaghan too :thumbs:

Tickled you that Rob? :laugh:

I'm just trying to imagine how the hell you'd go about it.....you have to handle a ferret to get it tame, right? so presumably to get a wild polecat tame you'd have to handle it with your bare hands? I must admit I'd quite like to see that, it would be f'ckin hillarious! Just out of interest Dayle, how did you get it out of the purse net?

One of two things has happened here, either the lad is bored/deluded/on the wind up and spouting shit, or what he's actually caught is just a ferret that's either escaped or been left by someone out ferreting that may have been out for a few weeks/months and has gone a bit wild.

I can categorically say that it was definitely not a wild polecat if he has tamed it in 3 months....or at all!!!!

• Like 2

Aye I had a wild one for few months, i was rehabilitating, unhandleable, untameable .... Stood out from regular ferrets by its size, muscle tone and speed. Eventually it ripped its way out of the cage and escaped. I'm pretty sure it would have killed any Jill I tried to mate it with. It only ate flesh, it only came out at night.

• Like 1

Aye I had a wild one for few months, i was rehabilitating, unhandleable, untameable .... Stood out from regular ferrets by its size, muscle tone and speed. Eventually it ripped its way out of the cage and escaped. I'm pretty sure it would have killed any Jill I tried to mate it with. It only ate flesh, it only came out at night.

• Like 3

Did I say it was ginger?

• Like 1

Did I say it was ginger?

You got any pics Jai....????