223 Or 22-250 For Foxing?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New barrel every year?? :laugh: This is a myth started by people who know feck all. I've been shooting one flat out for the past 7 years. I wouldn't like to be a fox at 300 yards yet! For normal sho

Congratulations ! You are leading in the 2013 facts i should not of posted ,   I have just sold my .22/250 as my .17fireball is now my preference, as it is faster than a .22/250 that must mean th

Bullet selection is exactly the same,they both fire a .224 bullet,and dont make me laugh,NEW BARREL EVERY YEAR,a keeper freind of mine has one he has used 4 or 5 nights a week for 15 years and it is s

Posted Images

To be honest there is not a massive difference between the two,they both fire exactly the same .224 bullet,the .22-250 has more grunt and will shoot them further,however it is louder and burns more powder,but for many years now it has been the fox shooting round par- excellance,and the advantage you have got over new trendy calibres like (the very good .204) is you can shoot deer with both .223 and .22-250 Roe in scotland and cwd and muntjac in England and Wales,me personally if I was buying another fox rifle,Id go .22-250 as I love the round,and if I did not use the .243 for fox as well as deer I would have one in my cabinet for sure, but that said I am sure you would be pleased with either mate :thumbs:

I started with 223 and killed on the lamp at 250 yards I moved onto 22.250 which I loved.........iv sold up and had a year off....I'll be buying a 223 again.......is it safe to be shooting out further than 250 ish yards on the lamp??? At night its a feck off long way....

only main advantage i can think off is the 22-250 is that it will shot flatter than the .223 this will help at night when considering longer shot as you will not need to hole over as much.

but then at night they seem to come within 200yards 90 percent of the time.

i was always a fan of the 22-250 but with the better ammo selection for 223 and i can get bulk pack of 223 for £36 per 100 AND resale on .223's are higher because of the less chance of barrel burn out.

the end

New barrel every year?? :laugh: :laugh: This is a myth started by people who know feck all. I've been shooting one flat out for the past 7 years. I wouldn't like to be a fox at 300 yards yet! For normal shooting purposes a barrel will last you a lifetime. If your shooting hundreds of rounds at targets all the time maybe you can shoot one out. To be honest there isnt much difference between the two calibres. Either one will make a great fox gun. Woz your right, any fox shot over 250 yards at night is a long shot!

• Like 2

New barrel every year?? :laugh: :laugh: This is a myth started by people who know feck all. I've been shooting one flat out for the past 7 years. I wouldn't like to be a fox at 300 yards yet! For normal shooting purposes a barrel will last you a lifetime. If your shooting hundreds of rounds at targets all the time maybe you can shoot one out. To be honest there isnt much difference between the two calibres. Either one will make a great fox gun. Woz your right, any fox shot over 250 yards at night is a long shot!

I had a REM vssf with duel trigger shot it nearly every night for three years would put bullet on bullet at 200 yards and I scoped it when I come to sell it and wear was at a minimum........you don't have to be running flat out hot loads through a 22.250

I had a REM vssf with duel trigger shot it nearly every night for three years would put bullet on bullet at 200 yards and I scoped it when I come to sell it and wear was at a minimum........you don't have to be running flat out hot loads through a 22.250

So are you saying factory ammo through a 22-250 does not burn out a barrel quicker than the same through a 223??, big question, and simply for the benefit of the OP, and me.

Myths prevail remember/

Had a 22.250 for 5 years ,shot loads of foxes & crows ,250m is a comfortable range, never had a problem with barrel .if i had to get a new .22 centre fire 223 would be my choise only because its a cheaper to run & do seem to have a better resale value. They are both a great foxing gun............ps they do move in the wind