How Do You Make Your Catty Ammo

i find steel best for target shooting and lead best for hunting due to the extra weight , lead is approx double the weight of steel bb size for size . i use between 10mm and 16mm depending on quarry . them milbro type moulds are expensive unless your realy seriously into it , you want go far wrong with the cheaper ones of amazon/ebay , starting at £11.99 each . As already stated above an old camping stove , a tin can , and some clean scrap lead is all you need . Do it outside because the fumes given off are pretty toxic . I can easily knock a 1000 out in couple hours which should keep you going for a while . Id say 12mm would be a good all round size , but id favour 16mm for roosting pheasants .

Edited by brassneck

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would go for one of these moulds tho ther a lot cheaper http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330828892935?var=540121295367&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

thats the same mould i have good mould i found try slingshot forum mate there are some very helpfull people on there mate tutorials all sorts loads of designs on there in the shared design part i like

thank you that has helped me alot and that mould will be perfect when i get started also looked on the proshot website some nice cattsy on there

thanks

bigj james

hi that mould you just linked is very nice and its a fair bit cheaper

thanks

bigj james

No probs mate cheaper the better thats what i say :laugh:

I can get moulds made ... I use 10mm lead These realy do fly better than the 12mm lead ones ,Another good reason to use 10mm lead balls is if your making them yourself its more shots nd less lead,,I melt old car battys down to make lead shot ..

how many 10mm leads do you get out of a battery? and is it cheaper to buy the batterys than just buying the lead from the scrap yard ?

Cheers salty

I can get moulds made ... I use 10mm lead These realy do fly better than the 12mm lead ones ,Another good reason to use 10mm lead balls is if your making them yourself its more shots nd less lead,,I melt old car battys down to make lead shot ..

how many 10mm leads do you get out of a battery? and is it cheaper to buy the batterys than just buying the lead from the scrap yard ?

Cheers salty

i think the price scrap yards pay for batterys works out to the same as lead , after all its the lead there paying for ! unless i had one knocking around i dont think id want to risk the potential hazards of messing around with one .

Cheers salty

so stop bein a scrooge and go and buy some :D

Cheers salty

i think the price scrap yards pay for batterys works out to the same as lead , after all its the lead there paying for ! unless i had one knocking around i dont think id want to risk the potential hazards of messing around with one .

im just thinking it would be nice clean lead i might be rong tho

Cheers salty

so stop bein a scrooge and go and buy some :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cheers salty

whatever lead you use , when you melt it the impurities will come to the top , all what will happen if its got tar etc on it is that it will stink your place out and smoke a bit , i was just thinking you would have to dipose of the battery accid ,plastic etc and possibley ruin your best trackies lmao :thumbs: :thumbs:

Cheers salty

whatever lead you use , when you melt it the impurities will come to the top , all what will happen if its got tar etc on it is that it will stink your place out and smoke a bit , i was just thinking you would have to dipose of the battery accid ,plastic etc and possibley ruin your best trackies lmao :thumbs: :thumbs:

good point that it will cost me more in the long run replacein my trackies :laugh:

Cheers salty

good point that it will cost me more in the long run replacein my trackies :laugh:

im paying a pound a kilo from scrapyard(C&D alloys) that ll do me , think they pay 60p a kilo but i aint gona cry about 40p . ive done over 2000 so far out of 10kg , there on ebay for £2.99 per 50 plus postage so your saving money whatever

Wheel weights arent pure lead, its a lead alloy and harder and lighter, they work but you dont get the same weight as using pure lead, when it melts the steel part is easy to take out, not a good idea to use it in a Lee mould either, it knackers the sprue cutter up. Battry lead is really toxic, i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole!

My mate makes these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hunting-Catapult-Slingshot-Ammo-Mould-Makes-1-2-inch-12-7mm-lead-balls-/170976784361?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item27cf02afe9

Much better than the fishing moulds, ive got a 1/2" but he does 10mm,14mm and odd sizes if you ask,he does them with handles for around £5, but most of the lads just use a crocodile clip, ive fited mine in hinged wooden handles.

Hardly anybody seems to understand how the ammo/bands should be "matched" its not that simple, one size wont "fit all" they'll all work to some degree, but without matched bands/ammo you'll never get the best out of your kit, accuracy or knockdown power, forget light steel,its ok for targets with light bands, but not humane for hunting FACT.