Help With Cut Ear

I'm new to the lurcher game and mine cut his ear on a barbed wire fence a few months ago. I let it heal naturally after i cleaned it for the first few weeks with antiseptic spray. Anyways i'm wondering if its healed properly. It doesn't seem to be hurting him but it looks bad after its scabbed up. And he's got a small lump just above the cut. Is this normal, or have you got any advice on how i can make it heal properly.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bathing that in salt water with a few drops of tea tree oil 3 times a day would be far better and help it heal much quicker .......

Posted Images

I'm new to the lurcher game and mine cut his ear on a barbed wire fence a few months ago. I let it heal naturally after i cleaned it for the first few weeks with antiseptic spray. Anyways i'm wondering if its healed properly. It doesn't seem to be hurting him but it looks bad after its scabbed up. And he's got a small lump just above the cut. Is this normal, or have you got any advice on how i can make it heal properly.

it should have healed ages ago "a few months ago" if its not healing it could well be infected and need to go to the vets, if you mean its healed and theres a lump this again could be an infection or just scar tissue hard to say with seeing it :hmm:

it should have healed ages ago "a few months ago" if its not healing it could well be infected and need to go to the vets, if you mean its healed and theres a lump this again could be an infection or just scar tissue hard to say with seeing it :hmm:

It has healed like it has scabbed over but it sometimes knocks the scab off now and agen and yeh i think the lump is just scar tissue.

Either two thing its scar tissue or it can heal up with infection inside therefor either go to vet and pay loads or pic scab of if not too big and lightly squeeze shit out and wash with salt water 4 times a day for 2 days then twice for the rest of week. If still showing a sticky gooey scab, may need penacilin dose then after a couple of days some natural yoghurt to encourage new good bacteria. Got taught this off an old lad who is top with his dogs and seen the whole procedure done.

Atb scott

When mine got her ear tabbed it took approx 16 days to heal completely and that was with her shaking her ears and opening it up a few times. The hard bit is probably scar tissue but hard to comment without seeing :thumbs:

While this threads on I'd like to ask a similar question my big lurcher had the tip of his ear bitten off when out lamping only a little bit barely noticeable but it bled like f**k that was a long long time ago and now it's just like a hard patch of skin no fur on it it's only tiny but just wondering what it is no bother with it any ideas is it just the way it's healed

Sorry for jumping in on the thread josh :thumbs:

Edited by J.DOG

When mine got her ear tabbed it took approx 16 days to heal completely and that was with her shaking her ears and opening it up a few times. The hard bit is probably scar tissue but hard to comment without seeing :thumbs:

dae ye keep them in the hoose RM?....great fun when they rip their ears and tails blood splatter f****n every were :laugh:

While this threads on I'd like to ask a similar question my big lurcher had the tip of his ear bitten off when out lamping only a little bit barely noticeable but it bled like f**k that was a long long time ago and now it's just like a hard patch of skin no fur on it it's only tiny but just wondering what it is no bother with it any ideas is it just the way it's healed

Its totally normal the skin where the tear/scar is has no or few hair folicles, could take years to grow some or never. Same as a pre ban bull x on a fox has scars no hair if that makes sense. I have a burn on my leg from 10 year ago only just starting to get the odd leg pube back, hope this helps

Its totally normal the skin where the tear/scar is has no or few hair folicles, could take years to grow some or never. Same as a pre ban bull x on a fox has scars no hair if that makes sense. I have a burn on my leg from 10 year ago only just starting to get the odd leg pube back, hope this helps

Cheers bud makes sense he's got plenty of scars off of fences ect ;) just wasn't sure if it was the same

Thanks mate :thumbs:

dae ye keep them in the hoose RM?....great fun when they rip their ears and tails blood splatter f****n every were :laugh:

Aye in the hoose, split tails are the worse, it's oan the ceiling and aw ooer the shop!! :laugh:

Aye in the hoose, split tails are the worse, it's oan the ceiling and aw ooer the shop!! :laugh:

:laugh::thumbs:

Either two thing its scar tissue or it can heal up with infection inside therefor either go to vet and pay loads or pic scab of if not too big and lightly squeeze shit out and wash with salt water 4 times a day for 2 days then twice for the rest of week. If still showing a sticky gooey scab, may need penacilin dose then after a couple of days some natural yoghurt to encourage new good bacteria. Got taught this off an old lad who is top with his dogs and seen the whole procedure done.

Atb scott

The yogart contains acidophilus which is the good bacteria. it sounds like scare tissue but if its an infection you can put magnesuim sulphate on it or use epsom salts to clean it aswell hope you get it sorted ATB :thumbs: