Advie On Keeping And Working Ferrets

hi , i am interested in all aspects of hunting / shooting / fishing and any thing to do with the countryside (im a farmer) i want to get a couple of ferrets in the hope of working them, being a complete novice i would be greatfull of any advice on keeping feeding and working ferrets and also best sex and breed of ferret to buy . many thanks in advance tom .

hi , i am interested in all aspects of hunting / shooting / fishing and any thing to do with the countryside (im a farmer) i want to get a couple of ferrets in the hope of working them, being a complete novice i would be greatfull of any advice on keeping feeding and working ferrets and also best sex and breed of ferret to buy . many thanks in advance tom .

Hi Tom if you just use the search on this section of the forum with any topic you need to know about it should bring up plenty of reading

Hi Tom if you just use the search on this section of the forum with any topic you need to know about it should bring up plenty of reading

thanks for the advice much apriciated

your a farmer and you must have land to work ferrets/dogs on. there will be plenty of experienced chaps that will leap at the chance to take you out and show you the ropes. its the best of learning, as books/dvd's/forums do tend to tell you ideals and not their mistakes. and as we all know, we learn from our mistakes.

Young ferrets might work "ok"n in their first season, but one thats over a year old gives you a better chance of a better worker. but you never know as some youngens work well on their first season.

i have just started myself but there is tons of info on here and a few good books you should read. i got 2 jills when they were 6 weeks old they cant really work till about 6months imo or you could get an older one. the only thing i would say is handle them often and feed them well

atb

thanks , what are you feeding yours?

your a farmer and you must have land to work ferrets/dogs on. there will be plenty of experienced chaps that will leap at the chance to take you out and show you the ropes. its the best of learning, as books/dvd's/forums do tend to tell you ideals and not their mistakes. and as we all know, we learn from our mistakes.

thanks that a good idea

i have just started myself but there is tons of info on here and a few good books you should read. i got 2 jills when they were 6 weeks old they cant really work till about 6months imo or you could get an older one. the only thing i would say is handle them often and feed them well

atb

I would agree with that makes it much more enjoyable if the ferret is happy to be handled by you and you work as a team rather than a ferret that is nervous of being handled and you have too watch your fingers all the time