Thermostat/water pump

Got a 2000 Almera and had trouble with the heating not working properly. Then this week the temp guage went into the red drove it home and checked the pipes from the rad.....the top pipe is roasting and the bottom pipe is cold. So i assumed the thermostat wasnt openning.

Had to pick kids up so took the car oly a shrt trip, but the guage went right into the red. When i stopped the water was literally boing out of the water bottle reservoir. And noticed a drip coming from near the waterpump too.

So today i took out the thermostat and replaced it. Ive taken the waterpump off and whats puzzling me is that the pump itself seems totally fine, there is no play in the bearing or any movement that shouldnt be there.

So the question is .....since it went into the red for a while is it possible that the leak from the waterpump is from the pressure blowing the gasket? It honestly has no play in it at all.....but i dont want to put it back on with a new gasket only or it to be fecked. Its a bollox to take off in the first place.

Any advice appreciated.

blocked radiator ?reason i say is when i use 2 go on 4x4 track through deep muddy water and all mud on rad ad gone like clay use 2 boil like mad

Aye did think of that too.....flushed the radiator completely just in case and it was pretty clean compared to some ive done. Will put the pump back on tommorrow ....thats a job in itself on this motor, really not looking forward too it.......hopefully it was just the pressure blowing the gaskt. A new pump is only €50 but if i dont need it then rather not spend it :thumbs:

yes bud id say it was the pressure blowing the gasket . replace the thermostat and gasket all should be well

Cheers ..........will crack on it in the morning once i can feel my bloody fingers again.....my motors always get problems when its fecking cold. :cray:

it could be the seal on water pump that as caused the trouble mate

If it was just the seal then surely the pump would still be pumping a certain amount of water around the engine? If the belt is turning and the pump is still turning freely then i cant see it being the cause of it....may be wrong, if the thermostat wasnt openning and the pump is turning it would cause a build up of pressure especially with the temp getting to max therefore blowing the gasket.

Petrol or diesel?,

If it's petrol do a compression test or even better take it to an mot station and have them do a hydrocarbon test,

Not on a Nissan but had the propellor par once heated up come away from drive section.

Petrol or diesel?,

If it's petrol do a compression test or even better take it to an mot station and have them do a hydrocarbon test,

Not on a Nissan but had the propellor par once heated up come away from drive section.

Its a petrol. We dont have MOT centres like they do in the u.k .....and a garage would probably charge me more than the pump and thermosta put together. I'll put it back together and see how it goes. At least its narrowed it down if it still isnt fixed.

if the gasket gone your need to check the head for a crack and schim the head to be sure mate

Its the Gasket on the water pump that was leaking not the head gasket.....chrcked around the head just in case and totaly dry............would scrap it if it came to that :victory:

Petrol or diesel?,

Its a petrol. We dont have MOT centres like they do in the u.k .....and a garage would probably charge me more than the pump and thermosta put together. I'll put it back together and see how it goes. At least its narrowed it down if it still isnt fixed.

Surely they do emission tests? You use the exhaust probe and hold it just above the expansion tank (with the cap off) and it will measure how many hydrocarbons there is, the less the better.

Petrol or diesel?,

Surely they do emission tests? You use the exhaust probe and hold it just above the expansion tank (with the cap off) and it will measure how many hydrocarbons there is, the less the better.

I'll see how it goes when i put her back together tommorrow morning ......if it plays up i'll check around for someone to do it .....but they aint cheap over here for anything car related and half of them aint got a fecking clue.

Cheers.

So replaced the Thermostat, flushed the rad through and put new gasket on the water pump and put back on. Let the car warm up sat on the drive way to let the air get out of the system so no air blockages. Warmed up nicely, took her for a drive around for a few miles all round town so too give it a good test.

All good temp guage is staying just below the half way mark, heating is working better than ever and got back to check for any leaks from the thermostat housing and new gasket.....none. So happy chap, saved myself a few quid rather than taking it to the garage to get done.....saw one quote on a forum and it was £300 to change the pump....seen as the pump only costs about £50 was a flippng rip off.

Cheers for all the replies lads :thumbs: