tercil peregrine

the.. hunter

hi everyone i have allways wanted to hunt with a tercil peregrine i have hunted with gyr sakers as game hawks and i love it but have allways loved a teircil. just a couple of quick questions i have land withblots of phesant and mallard but will a tercil take them. i also have some partrage and teal land but not enough to fly one bird at constantly would love to hear anyones veiws on hunting with teircils and what they have taken with then thanks everyone ben.

Think you would struggle with cock birds unless you have a very confident bird I've seen quite a few get injured while trying to take a cock bird and refuse them after that as are not confident mallard and partridge are perfect but for cock phesants not for me.

Fly at hare how big u think males are you not no chance fella a female is no good for hares you find female Harris now taking on hares.you would need a very large falcon to take them on

Sakers are good on rabbit and far few people doing it sadly as the flights are awesome if you got the land to suit

Fly at hare how big u think males are you not no chance fella a female is no good for hares you find female Harris now taking on hares.you would need a very large falcon to take them on

Sakers are good on rabbit and far few people doing it sadly as the flights are awesome if you got the land to suit

• Like 1

I wanted to know what weight it hunted at mate, the hare question was really just a stab in the dark, maybe it had seen one, leveret or a rabbit in past or whatever, and shown interest, Id sort of assume they would come across either whilst on the wing on moors or fields , Ive taken them with 1lb12oz hybrid falcon, plenty of lure work , prepare em for what happens when they bind properly and reward large worked for me with a fair old dose of patience, he only needs to be brave enough to stick in until either the dog or myself get their, sure he seen some hard times but seen em take more stick from crows ,he learned towards the end of the season that the higher the stoop the less the hassle on ground once they down and it showed with a sucessfull single handed flight on last day out, killed it out right,in one stoop and strike, he even looked a little disappointed when it did not responed once down.

By product is that he hammers rabbits stoops and binds and they melt, good at the odd tail chase if they detected him coming, we chose his parents as his mother used to have a penchance for ground game and dogs,anything that moved lol and me pals largest male, flying hares with him is hit and miss and its very confidence based I conceed, hence finishing early season on a high,and good kill but also early as he taken some stick and I knew they would pose more threat later in seasoin when they got even stronger, I aim eventually to use his sister on hares, she should make easier work of it being stronger, wether she as brave is a different matter, I feel thats the deciding line, mind I trained this bird for this sport only and would not expect it to interest many, some say its cruel, I knwo its not , he still alive and happily goes to em , I gave him a hare carcass the other day forst one in ages his reaction said it all lol

Heard of peregrines flown on deserth hare, so thought my question might of had someone come forwrd with an expirience, strange things happen in fields small dogs taking massive gear, size is deffo a factior, but gimme a small un with a big heart any day over a gutless giant, I do agree though harris make very good hare hawks mine took many as will me pals in the coming season, fit they do well good box of tricks to em so sports not hard to find, regarding the above I seen more pairs of clean heels over the year, but even purpose bred dogs see that , sucsess in my eyes is the odd occaision we manage to complete our aims or the times we get very close,if it was even 70% successall the time it would not be a challenge lol boundaries are there to be pushed imho

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 1

I have flown alti saker at ground game with success and loved every min of it ,if your thinking of this a alti saker x be a good choice mate I feel or a gyr :)

Iuse a gyr saker tiercel with some sucess at hare well I did last season and will be againthsi season, backed up by a dog mind, seen an american guy use praire x pere on them deadly, likesay sometimes its just hopw you seel it too the bird in training and entering, est is down to heart alone, we used the parents we did as they had a penchance for ground game and this was proven in foield , ruined the female as the lad wanted a gamehawk but she attacked small dogs large ones then discvovered hare and for him she was ruined for me she provided the break I needed as my aiom was hare with dog and falcon, done the harris thing with dog as well in past , down to trainign and idividual birds guts, your only ever one bad catch away from the end as they get a fearful battering if the dog is noit in or you don't assist. I know for a fact some arabs where flying pure pere on hare with dog in scotland , as they caught us poaching the same land with dogs only, hence my question, mind they may of just beinjg using them as cover lol

• 4 weeks later...

What would happen if your Game hawk/falcon was out flying a Crow/Magpie etc etc and a Buzzard got in the way..Would your big BOP be able to finish off the buzzard..and would you them be in trouble with the LAW ?

I seem to remember reading in a very old book about hunting red/black kites and buzzards with Peregrines ? Where does the law stand these days on this ?

If you killed a buzzard that got in the way youd be f****d. A buzzard would make short work of a peregrine if it got caught. Buzzard killed one of my male Harris hawks season before last on the last day of his season b*****ds!

Thanks for that CHawker . . . . . I did wonder if that would be the outcome on most occasions.

• 1 month later...