whats the best ferret for working

Like all animals every ferret differs. In my vast experience with ferrets I have found that albino ferrets are more aggressive/bold and are very keen to catch the rabbit. this is great until he/she catches it underground and has a meal and sleep leaving you with a dig on your hands or a two hour wait.

Polecats seem to be a bit less aggressive but still make marvellous workers. Don't get me wrong they will kill at ground but are not as eager for the kill and enjoy the chase.

With the above in mind you might want to consider a "sandy" ferret which is a cross between polecat and albino.

I would recommend getting it off working stock but this is not vital. Make sure it is well handled but these animals are not pets and should have plenty space in their living quarters with a run if possible. I had large pipe separating the hut from the run which was brilliant for getting a young ferret used to dark spaces.

Hope u have some successful ferreting mate

Atb

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

rossboi, ye couldnae make that shite up, how old are you kid??

So a albino is a different "breed" to a polecat ferret is it? NO its not they're ferrets, if you're saying they're different breeds then how come you get poleys and albino's in the same litter?

A couple of my best workers have been SSPCA rescue ferrets that I took to make up numbers,,   One was so good I bred from her,,,first time in years I`ve bred.   TBH, most good healthy looked after

Hi Mate,

i just picked up 4 ferrets from a home where they have been kept in the bedroom since birth and now they dont want them any more, i started hunting them this season and they work really well, they had never hunted before. seems that instinct takes over.

Good luck with yours

Like all animals every ferret differs. In my vast experience with ferrets I have found that albino ferrets are more aggressive/bold and are very keen to catch the rabbit. this is great until he/she catches it underground and has a meal and sleep leaving you with a dig on your hands or a two hour wait.

Polecats seem to be a bit less aggressive but still make marvellous workers. Don't get me wrong they will kill at ground but are not as eager for the kill and enjoy the chase.

With the above in mind you might want to consider a "sandy" ferret which is a cross between polecat and albino.

I would recommend getting it off working stock but this is not vital. Make sure it is well handled but these animals are not pets and should have plenty space in their living quarters with a run if possible. I had large pipe separating the hut from the run which was brilliant for getting a young ferret used to dark spaces.

Atb

Hey are you pissed or something ,

• Like 1

I dont think colour comes in to it, to me the only difference working is, one is white the other brown.

regarding them sleeping down the bury, if my ferts were slow to come out, they were either working a rabbit, or stuck in a blind end. not having a kip. :D

Working ability would not be any different by colour alone but i have a preference for lighter coloured ferrets just as they are are easier to see in heavy cover.

• Like 1

Yeah im the same, in that i prefer a light coloured/albino ferret. At the minute i have 3 albino hobs and 1 albino jill, my other jill is a poley and its a challenge to find her if there is cover or its dark. Resorted to putting a bell on their collars so if i can't see them i can hear them. As for if ones better than the other, i don't have a preference as they all have a place in my team, otherwise they wouldn't be here :thumbs: My mate has one of the best hobs ive ever seen, its a white hob with black eyes, that he got off a bloke who said it was useless. It is a small hob, not much bigger than a jill, but abit fatter and is bloody quick when underground, bolts a hell of alot of rabbits and also has the odd kill. Jealous that i don't have it too be honest :D

A good working ferret is a good worker what ever the colour if we breed them right they would all be the same under the jacket ,GRAFTERS the only reason folk prefer the differnt colours is as saidits easier to see the lighter colours

Atb

So some colours work better than others? Vast experience you say,if what you stated isn't a wind up then I'd get out and gain some more.

• Like 2

A good working ferret is a good worker what ever the colour if we breed them right they would all be the same under the jacket ,GRAFTERS the only reason folk prefer the differnt colours is as saidits easier to see the lighter colours

Agreed :thumbs: But there is too many people breeding from rubbish stock, that finding a good one isn't easy. Its in their instinct too do it and all ferrets will work, but the top ones that cover all the sett, have it in the gene's aswell or thats my opinion

Atb

So some colours work better than others? Vast experience you say,if what you stated isn't a wind up then I'd get out and gain some more.

:D:thumbs:

It's all down to personal preference, but I favour small/medium light coloured jills. Small enough to move through pursenets, and light enough that they catch my eye as they move through cover. As for the working abilities linked to colour, ignore that. All colours can appear in the same litter. As for knowing how a ferret performs below ground is too often just conjecture. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

It's all down to personal preference, but I favour small/medium light coloured jills. Small enough to move through pursenets, and light enough that they catch my eye as they move through cover. As for the working abilities linked to colour, ignore that. All colours can appear in the same litter. As for knowing how a ferret performs below ground is too often just conjecture. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Yeah, but for instance if you follow your ferret with a finder and the depth gauge is constantly moving and changing and your ferreting hasn't appeared at any holes, you can almost guarantee that it is working the full sett and then you hear the thumping :thumbs: . On the other hand if the depth gauge is changing slowly, depth staying the same, ferret popping up at most holes, you can be sure its only working the top layer and not getting right down. This is what normally happens when a ferret is newly introduced to ferreting and doesn't know what to do, but this also happens when you have a 'dud' worker.

Did I mention colour?? Eh no. I Sao albino, polecat and sandy. Do you actually know anything aboutvthe breed of ferrets??? They are all different breeds!!! And yes i do have vast experience in owning ferrets. Colour is regardless!!! Your argument matches that of saying a Norfolk terrier is the same as a jack russel just look diff! Is this site for Wanabe "hunters"? Cause moat people that comment actually don't have a clue about anything. I have been a gamekeeper for the past 10 years working all aspects and never hears such shite since looking on thi site.