if greyhounds are the fastest?...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as i said on page two the bitch i reared from 8 weeks old and lived to 11 was a good hunting partner and put plenty stuff away but any one who gets a ex track dog and thinks it can do as well as a lur

The use of pastoral dogs to produce lurchers goes back to the times when the common man couldn't own any dog above terrier size unless it was used for herding/droving. Put a rough coat over a longdog

Lurcher owners/breeders are after the "Holy Grail" of the running dog ; a dog with the speed of the Greyhound, the brains of the Collie, the stamina of the Saluki, coat of a Deerhound, the heart of th

Posted Images

It's still not going to replace a purpose bred lurcher though. I know you get exceptions in everything but seriously? Those long toes for a start.....don't know anyone who wants their pup to take the greyhounds side regarding feet.

Just incase you've forget the pish you wrote kranky, read your post above and show me where you define ex track dogs....... Ill hold my breath big boy

I made mention of the fact that they can turn if allowed to run in the field and also of coursing dogs that were used for lamping and mooching. I never mentioned ex racers but then again I didn't expect people who were giving such definitive and negative advice about a dogs working abilities would base their findings on ex racers. Dogs that either haven't made the grade or are well past their prime and unsuitable for breeding.

I've worked pure greys both here and in Ireland, dogs that were bred to work not race. I also owned a dog that made it to the semi finals of the Springbok at Wimbledon. These big dogs accounted for plenty of deer and fox back in the day.

Would I get another pure greyhound? There's blokes on here that know that I looked at a pup a couple of months ago.

It seems a lot of your experience is based on a dog with a dodgy leg who's blood wasn't worth breeding from. The fact that you couldn't teach a young dog to jump says more about your abilities than the dogs.

It's still not going to replace a purpose bred lurcher though. I know you get exceptions in everything but seriously? Those long toes for a start.....don't know anyone who wants their pup to take the greyhounds side regarding feet.

they just aint got it for long hard work they are sprint dogs they burn out to quick with lactic acid build up . bottom linr a good lurcher is allways better :thumbs:
  • Like 1

All you people talking about greyhounds hitting fences..... Kranky knows your all talking pish and only heard it down the pub.....

All your years of experience and your family of poachers should've taught you that any dog can hit a fence regardless of breeding and regardless of training and entering. How many lurchers have been killed or injured running into stuff? Loads more than greyhounds be ause loads more are used for lamping. Does that make it a fault in all lurchers?

What about deerhound crosses? Do they have bad feet? They got long toes. What about bull crosses? How do you find their feet? Which side do you want them to take regarding feet?

If any of the above are too hard for you to answer you are allowed to ring a member of your poacher family for help.

they just aint got it for long hard work they are sprint dogs they burn out to quick with lactic acid build up . bottom linr a good lurcher is allways better :thumbs:

Whilst they ain't got the wind of a saluki or deerhound they ain't finished after a short sprint and cramped up.

Your just being silly now kranky. You said you never thought people would talk about ex racers in the field. Errrr hello, what are 99.99999% of greyhounds used for? I don't think you have ever been in a field have you? You say greyhounds have great feet, are you serious? Obviously lurchers hit stuff but here's a wee something for you to digest, the faster the animal the more likely it is to hit something. You take a speed bomb into a boulder strewn hill, it's more likely to hit one compared to a more slower type. I seriously don't know why I'm wasting my time with you, your knowledge regarding field craft comes from books. Ill just bow to your superior knowledge on the matter...... Greyhounds are the dogs bollocks

Whilst they ain't got the wind of a saluki or deerhound they ain't finished after a short sprint and cramped up.

ffs exactly they are sprint dogs fast twitch muscles if i was you id get a hamster you know fanny f..k about dogs :laugh:
  • Like 1

as been said ex track dogs know no different they will just run in to a fence but get a pup it will do every thing a lurcher can but not a lot of wind thats why we run lurchers is it not? as for brain no diffrent from a salukie most will come round with time spent on them.atb

Here a question kranky, if greyhounds are better than lurchers for the job. Why is the lurcher section on the hunting life the most popular section on here? Why do folk waste their time sourcing collies etc, breeding first cross then second cross etc when all they needs a f*****g greyhound? I need to go now so can't answer back but humour me please ;)