if greyhounds are the fastest?...

I take it kranky your implying I've never seen a greyhound in the field with your running into fence jib. That's fine but I can assure you mystic meg, I have seen such animals in the field. As for your lurchers stem back to common man having to hide the dog from authorities, that's Definately straight from the ol poaching books. Yes deerhounds were used by gentry etc but I'm sure common man wasn't using the lets face it, useless greyhound in the field as his prime pot filler. If this was the reason common man adopted the lurcher, we would just revert back to old type if they were the be all......

Hahahahaha!!! I hadn't even seen your post when I started typing!! Don't take it as a personal attack, read it properly. I wasn't implying anything towards a post I hadn't even read.

Do some research with regards to the hunting laws of old. You can get reprints of books of statute relating to the New Forest and Ashdown Forest. You can also research laws passed by Cromwell. If you're interested in that stuff, bypass Google and go to the British library, that's what I did.

The greyhound isn't useless and never was viewed like that. Again do some research instead of watching Braveheart and Robin Hood. The gentry, as you call them, had many more dogs than you realise, each for a different sport. Greyhounds figured heavily in their running dogs, more than any other.

People have tried for years to recreate old forms of lurchers, the Smithfield and Norfolk being examples. You don't know a lot about running dog history, do you? Maybe you should forget the "poaching books" and do some proper research.

By calling the greyhound useless you've pretty much summed up your knowledge of the breed as a worker.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as i said on page two the bitch i reared from 8 weeks old and lived to 11 was a good hunting partner and put plenty stuff away but any one who gets a ex track dog and thinks it can do as well as a lur

The use of pastoral dogs to produce lurchers goes back to the times when the common man couldn't own any dog above terrier size unless it was used for herding/droving. Put a rough coat over a longdog

Lurcher owners/breeders are after the "Holy Grail" of the running dog ; a dog with the speed of the Greyhound, the brains of the Collie, the stamina of the Saluki, coat of a Deerhound, the heart of th

Posted Images

I take it kranky your implying I've never seen a greyhound in the field with your running into fence jib. That's fine but I can assure you mystic meg, I have seen such animals in the field. As for your lurchers stem back to common man having to hide the dog from authorities, that's Definately straight from the ol poaching books. Yes deerhounds were used by gentry etc but I'm sure common man wasn't using the lets face it, useless greyhound in the field as his prime pot filler. If this was the reason common man adopted the lurcher, we would just revert back to old type if they were the be all......

Hahahahaha!!! I hadn't even seen your post when I started typing!! Don't take it as a personal attack, read it properly. I wasn't implying anything towards a post I hadn't even read.

Do some research with regards to the hunting laws of old. You can get reprints of books of statute relating to the New Forest and Ashdown Forest. You can also research laws passed by Cromwell. If you're interested in that stuff, bypass Google and go to the British library, that's what I did.

The greyhound isn't useless and never was viewed like that. Again do some research instead of watching Braveheart and Robin Hood. The gentry, as you call them, had many more dogs than you realise, each for a different sport. Greyhounds figured heavily in their running dogs, more than any other.

People have tried for years to recreate old forms of lurchers, the Smithfield and Norfolk being examples. You don't know a lot about running dog history, do you? Maybe you should forget the "poaching books" and do some proper research.

By calling the greyhound useless you've pretty much summed up your knowledge of the breed as a worker.

many moons ago i was given a greyhound pup a bitch i fetched her up as you would a lurcher she could jump mark up for the ferrets and i worked her in the lamp so i do not buy in to all this they are thick and run in to every thing in front of them yes may be if it is a ex track dog thats only ever run round a track but if reared from a pup they can do a job for you. atb

• Like 3

Pmsl kranky, my knowledge comes from the field not libraries. It's also been passed down from generations of poachers etc in my family. You said the lurcher came about because common man had to hide the fact the dog he had was capable of catching quarry, agree? I'm saying that's a load of pish. Yes he had to make his 'lurcher' less lurcher like but the lurcher was already there. The greyhound is useless in the field, I haven't googled that or visited a library, I know this because I've seen several and every one apart from the one I mentioned were shit. Even it was crap but for a greyhound it was good. You take your greyhound out on the lamp in a field with double barbed wire and tell me how good it is. A field btw, is those green grassy looking things you go past on the way to the library.

many moons ago i was given a greyhound pup a bitch i fetched her up as you would a lurcher she could jump mark up for the ferrets and i worked her in the lamp so i do not buy in to all this they are thick and run in to every thing in front of them yes may be if it is a ex track dog thats only ever run round a track but if reared from a pup they can do a job for you. atb

That's the problem, most people's experience of greyhounds in the field is ex track dogs that've been taken in to use as stud dogs or brood bitches for breeding lurchers. These dogs have run the oval on sand and have known nothing else. They've never had to turn or stop.

• Like 3

Pmsl kranky, my knowledge comes from the field not libraries. It's also been passed down from generations of poachers etc in my family. You said the lurcher came about because common man had to hide the fact the dog he had was capable of catching quarry, agree? I'm saying that's a load of pish. Yes he had to make his 'lurcher' less lurcher like but the lurcher was already there. The greyhound is useless in the field, I haven't googled that or visited a library, I know this because I've seen several and every one apart from the one I mentioned were shit. Even it was crap but for a greyhound it was good. You take your greyhound out on the lamp in a field with double barbed wire and tell me how good it is. A field btw, is those green grassy looking things you go past on the way to the library.

can you give a few examples of why they were so bad.....rather than just "they were shit"? just interested to hear exactly what faults you've experienced? also, were the ones you've seen ex track dogs? i.e. has someone taken a track dog straight in the field and then complained that they weren't up to scratch? it's not that I'm doubting anything, I'm just interested in hearing the bigger picture.

edited to say just seen from your previous reply that they were track dogs.....how much preparation did the owners do before taking them in the field?

Edited by rob190364

You say that now kranky but your original post said you knew when you read someone who writes about greyhounds running into fences has never seen a greyhound in the field only pub talk. Now your shifting the goalposts!!! If your going to raise an argument atleast stick to your original point, it saves you looking like you know fuckall about anything unless its from print in your beloved library chronicles.

In which field did you learn about feudal law and laws of the chase?

Surely if your family of generations old poachers knew anything they wouldn't have kept taking greyhounds into the field for you to see so many. Unless they were poachers who liked to take friends along for a walk with their useless dogs.

You're getting Bawing now! You said that the greyhound that was the best you saw was excellent and now you say that it was crap, make your mind up!

I'd take a greyhound into a field with double barbed wire on the lamp, why wouldn't I? Are you saying that a bull x, saluki, etc will fair better if it hits double barbed wire? Greyhounds jump no problem if trained to do so, unless they're hurdlers ex track dogs may not. I suspect that's all you've ever seen, an old worn out racer.

That's the problem, most people's experience of greyhounds in the field is ex track dogs that've been taken in to use as stud dogs or brood bitches for breeding lurchers. These dogs have run the oval on sand and have known nothing else. They've never had to turn or stop.

yes your right i think the people who comment on here have just got a dog from the track and entered them to the field. baw i would like to try again with a pure greyhound but i would sooner run a lurcher mate tried and tested i found with the bitch i had she was up for it in mind but would not last a long night on the lamp not a lot of wind but she would give me every thing and strike like a snake mate not missing much .atb

You say that now kranky but your original post said you knew when you read someone who writes about greyhounds running into fences has never seen a greyhound in the field only pub talk. Now your shifting the goalposts!!! If your going to raise an argument atleast stick to your original point, it saves you looking like you know fuckall about anything unless its from print in your beloved library chronicles.

I've not changed anything, I stand by it all. People write crap about greyhounds because they've not seen true workers. I k ow they're writing crap because I've seen proper workers. I've not moved the goalposts.

It now turns out that I was right and you've only seen ex track dogs. You're not the best person to be giving advice on them are you?

kept the greyhounds for years,never worked one in the field.two reasons.one they arent the brightest of dogs.(no sure if you had one from a pup it would be different)and second reason,im f****d if im paying a few grand for a racer to let it run in some dodgy field lol

• Like 1

Rob, my uncle was a greyhound trainer, he had a greyhound that damaged its hock at an early age. It was no good for breeding, can't mind why but became the family pet. We used to take that ferreting, was good but as I say, couldn't jump for toffee and was practically suicidal taking the rabbit. I never seen it take one without rolling 5 mile, couldn't let it chase near fences, it was just too mental. Others I've seen have been bitches ex track that guys have bred from and just took for the craic. I can't believe I'm having this conversation pmsl, every greyhound I've seen is no where near as good as a lurcher. Granted I've not seen many but I've seen enough to pass judgement.

Ok, do you greyhound guys think they could beat lurchers? Even the best dogs I've seen at the Waterloo cup are 100 mile an hour desperadoes.