if greyhounds are the fastest?...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as i said on page two the bitch i reared from 8 weeks old and lived to 11 was a good hunting partner and put plenty stuff away but any one who gets a ex track dog and thinks it can do as well as a lur

The use of pastoral dogs to produce lurchers goes back to the times when the common man couldn't own any dog above terrier size unless it was used for herding/droving. Put a rough coat over a longdog

Lurcher owners/breeders are after the "Holy Grail" of the running dog ; a dog with the speed of the Greyhound, the brains of the Collie, the stamina of the Saluki, coat of a Deerhound, the heart of th

Posted Images

If pure greyhound is the fastest breed why do people cross them with bull, sulukis etc.

They cross them with other breeds to add something different to the mix, in the

case of saluki's that would be stamina.

Because greyhounds are racing dogs and can therefore add speed to a lurcher strain......unfortunately brittle feet and poor stamina often come with the speed, which is why most breeders of hunting sighthounds prefer to use a lurcher with a proven record....I think!

• Like 4

If pure greyhound is the fastest breed why do people cross them with bull, sulukis etc.

Lurcher owners/breeders are after the "Holy Grail" of the running dog ; a dog with the speed of the Greyhound, the brains of the Collie, the stamina of the Saluki, coat of a Deerhound, the heart of the Bull, etc, etc !!

The base breed of any Lurcher line needs to have Greyhound or Whippet or Saluki or Deerhound in it. Then it's a case of breeding "the best to the best" !! Or so they tell me ..... :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 8

I've seen a greyhound that was excellent in the field, just couldn't jump. You had to watch it on fences cos it would just run right through them. To answer your question, every dog has good qualities and bad. You try to combine the good qualities hoping it cancels the bad. I like a lot of greyhound in my dogs, each to there own.

The use of pastoral dogs to produce lurchers goes back to the times when the common man couldn't own any dog above terrier size unless it was used for herding/droving. Put a rough coat over a longdog and call it a herding dog. No one's any the wiser and your dog has the speed to take game without falling foul of the law. People have followed on from this and added their own choice of dogs to the mix depending on the work they would see, the fashion at the time and, in some cases, which pups would sell for the most.

It's surprising the amount of people that can give an opinion on pure greyhounds in the field when so few are used. I've worked greys and by reading from the replies I can tell who's actually seen one work and who's just repeating nonsense they've heard down the pub. They're not made of glass, their feet are no worse than a lot of bull x's. this notion that they run at 40mph straight into the nearest obstacle is ridiculous and if true, would mean that the greyhound would be on the endangered species list. Those that are given the chance to run in the field have no problem turning either and their skin, whilst thin, isn't made of tissue.

Before the Internet, you had to just believe in what you saw. Sure there were always tall tales of dogs entering a field and killing 5 hares before returning to their owners side ready to run again and people have always tried to say that beddy whippets could pull fallow bucks, tigers, rhinos, etc but those that were actually out doing a bit never took much notice of these stories.

When I was younger a lot of the coursing boys still used pure greys and, as a result, there were plenty about lamping and mooching. They're not without their faults, but then again which type of running dog is fault free?

Try and see a decent one work for yourself, I know that could prove difficult for a lot of people but until you do, don't fall into the trap of slagging them off just to try and fit in with the other boys. You may find that the other boys are full of it and aren't allowed out on their own after dark.

• Like 9

I take it kranky your implying I've never seen a greyhound in the field with your running into fence jib. That's fine but I can assure you mystic meg, I have seen such animals in the field. As for your lurchers stem back to common man having to hide the dog from authorities, that's Definately straight from the ol poaching books. Yes deerhounds were used by gentry etc but I'm sure common man wasn't using the lets face it, useless greyhound in the field as his prime pot filler. If this was the reason common man adopted the lurcher, we would just revert back to old type if they were the be all......

Its due to the fact that greyhounds are daft and neurotic.....fact! I know I have lived with them for years.....

The giant monster in my avatar will not come into the kitchen if there is an object on the floor that was not there 2 mins ago....nutcase.

In saying that tho, I have watched him trying to run up a tree after a squirrel.....tough enough in the field definately, just a tiny bit stoopid!

A dash of collie or anything else for that matter deffo improves the breed....unless of course you want a chainsaw that runs at 40 miles an hour....then carry on!

• Like 2