Dog howling/barking constantly when i leave-HELP NEEDED

iv recently moved away from home and have brought my 6 year old collie with me, at home she went for about 8mths on her own when our other dog died she pined a bit but nothing major- didnt howl/bark when we left the house. we then got a puppy and she was back to normal.

i start work at 7:15, back in the house at 9ish for 20mins for breakfast. back to work till 1 back for a hour at lunch.then back to work till 5.

by the time i have left the house got my boots and everything on and got down the stairs the barking/howling starts and it dosnt stop till im back in the house.

iv read some good tips on the internet but only get a weekend off and these tips require at least a week of solid work- leave for few seconds come back in and repeat till eventually you build up to 40 mins.

was hoping someone would have a different method, i cant get another dog and dont want to punish her with a shock collar at the end of the day she just wants to be with me so im not going to shock her for it.

my house is in a area where everyone can hear her howling so despretly need some advice!

Thamks in advance

Have you tried leaving a radio on?

It's a big change in circumstances and dogs like a good routine so it more than likely the strange new surroundings etc. Do you walk her on a morning to get her energy down a bit and help her relax a bit more? You could go down the crate training route so she has her own place to feel secure in during the periods you are not there instead of having a big new area to try and deal with.

IS the new place a house or a flat?

Iv looked into the citronella collars and lots of people say their dogs learnt to look away so the spray dosnt get them in the face ?

And I left the TV on for her yesterday she was in her crate with a new bone and she was quiet all day barked for few seconds when I first left and that was it. But today same again and she barked for about half time I was out. I do walk her in morning like you said to try and relax her a bit but dosnt seem to do anything. It's a flat not a house sorry my mistake. I understand it's a big change and hopefully she will settle by herself but because my flats above the stables everyone can hear her all day - but this could also be part of the problem she can hear us all day too. But I don't want to have to take her back to my parents so looking for anything that might help

thanks again

So the dog is 6 years old, she has been uprooted from everything (except you) that she has known all her life, and is now left all day in what to her is not her home. Not surprising she's kicking up about it. Some dogs adapt better than others, they are the accepting sort, but you can't expect all dogs to be the same. I'd hazard a guess and suggest she would be happier in familiar surroundings .... Or, could you not put her in a kennel and run at the stables so she can see what is going on around her, see you, other people etc. That way she learns that she hasn't been abandoned in a strange place.

She's not in all day tho she's in for 3 1/2 hours at the most, which personaly I don't think that's too long when she gets plenty of exercise the rest of the day. she can't come to work with it's a fairly posh setup.il have a look at that link thanks

ye know the answers nat, no quick way to sort it tho, im afraid, 3 1/2 hours aint that long for a dog to be cooped up, but remember it will be to a dog thats never been cooped up, i not slateing ye for doing what ye have/are. i think its better than passing the dog on, but like ye said earlier on in thread, ye know its gonna take time, an if ye bosses workmates cant see that, then you gonna have a problem, but just wean the dog away from ye company an dont rush it, start with just standing other side of the door an talking to her, hope ye get it sorted :thumbs:

Edited by reddawn