Teaching Bitch To Strike

Aye paulus, I knew if my dog got a whiff of a deer when out rabbiting same with hares. Head up, ears erect, eyes popping sniffing the air...... Then nose to the floor, flat out zig zagging trying to pick up the trail lol. Nothing better than seeing him disappear over a hill doing this while ferreting, you run up to see....... And there he is up its arse :) f**k I love dogs lol

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dog wil be fine

thats what i do with mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlsOXv0FBmw

My mates sal/whip/grey was the same.   She just ran alongside quarry. When she did strike it was half hearted and let go.   One day she brought one back to hand and that was it. She was fine eve

Aye paulus, I knew if my dog got a whiff of a deer when out rabbiting same with hares. Head up, ears erect, eyes popping sniffing the air...... Then nose to the floor, flat out zig zagging trying to pick up the trail lol. Nothing better than seeing him disappear over a hill doing this while ferreting, you run up to see....... And there he is up its arse :) f**k I love dogs lol

ive got that problem at the minute, its silly season with the muntys here, for some reason at this time of year they start to wander all over the fooking place god knows why but it a b*stard with the dogs when your rabbiting :laugh:

Lol it's only a b*****d if your on ground with walkers but I know where your coming from. I've seen us having to leave the dogs on the slips out ferreting when it's the silly season...... For walkers that is :laugh:

Lmfao, I've thrown ferret boxes the lot lol. It's a bit like Pamela Anderson letting us into her knickers, just when your ready to give her what for...... Her saying,...... Stop I've changed my mind...... Aye when I'm good and ready lol

she is only 18 months old and still very young. As already mentioned she is playing and not working/hunting. Dont try her with another dog, it might just f**k up her soft mouth and retrieving for the future(if thats what you want), it can also enhance many other bad traits. As for rats, no way. The rat might bite back, and to stop this she'll crunch down on it...again it could ruin a potenial soft mouth.

Personally, she'll learn not to let go. When she catches, and lets go, and if the rabbit gets away...then penny will drop, "I wont let it go this time".

flirt is good play and exercise and therefore good with building up a bond with the dog

me i wouldent run it / take it out with another dog or even give it a longtail or 2 .. but thats just my thinking

to be honest at 18 months the dog should have seen more than 20 rabbits

so all i would say is LET THE DOG SEE THE RABBIT .. get the young fecker out as much as you can

give it some middle of the field runs

more you get out the more both of you will learn

• Like 1

flirt is good play and exercise and therefore good with building up a bond with the dog

me i wouldent run it / take it out with another dog or even give it a longtail or 2 .. but thats just my thinking

so all i would say is LET THE DOG SEE THE RABBIT .. get the young fecker out as much as you can

not much game around at the min mate..so it could be why his dogs not seen much

• Like 1

Lol you have been watching to much take me out

No lighty no likey ha ha

Guest long-tail

Ey up all

So have been out a fair bit with my 18 month saluki x whippet ferreting. She's had a good few runs on rabbits now, upwards of 20. However, though she's managed to catch most of them, she doesn't really strike properly. She'll grab and let go, chase it down again, put her paw on it, and then once it stops moving she just lets it up again etc etc

Anyone any ideas how I can get her more focused and doing the job properly? I'm starting to wonder if she'll get there.

take her ratting a few times or try taking her out with another dog as jelousy sometimes works for the good :thumbs:

encourage it to be hard mouthed,not what id be wanting to do intentialy,id just keep getting it out itl learn

how the fook can this be related to a dog being hard mouth .............if it was foxes preban i can understand..........but not rats

the lad obviously needs to put some hours in with the pup as what should of been done during the dogs younger days..........

as paulus said maybe, maybe not but id not want to risk a soft mouthed rabbit dog on rats that will readily bite back potentialy causing it to become hard mouthed,its not a seasoned dog that can readily distinguish quarry types is it therefore i personaly would keep getting it at the rabbits jmo though eh Edited by long-tail

I agree with cider man there ,18 months 20 runs my pups had 20 runs in the past fortnight she's only 10 months . No disrespect but you should no put and givin the fogged work atb Jim

well that made alot of sense . It would have been better for the dog if it seen more and ran more never mind we all have to learn I'm sure it will all come to gether for the both of you atvb