HELP & ADVICE NEEDED

richie

ive been concidering furthering my hunting methods by getting into falconary. would anyone be able to take me out with them to show me the basic ropes or direct me where i can do a course ? i dont want to get my knowledge from books as you cant beat hands on experience & been taught from someone who has the knowledge.

richie

• 1 month later...

Richie where are you?

I would advise some books mate. Your right that you cant beat hands on experience but books defo help. Emma fords art and practice is a good beginners book, its only a couple of squid on evilbay.

Your looking at about £250 for a male harris, £350 for a female harris.

cant say that i totally agree with that :hmm:

i started with a mhh, had good results with him, although i did have a mentor who gave me it in the neck if i was flying him in anything but flying/hunting weight

i have since progressed to training/hunting spars, ferrugies reds and some falcons(which i cant really be arsed with)

imo either a red or a harris would be good to start with, go for what you would feel more confident with and dont be shy to ask people for advice.

atb, chris

Guest shaheen

I've nothing against Harris's i have flown two myself,the problem i beleive is the Harris Hawks' laid back nature.There is no denying that Harris's do become tame and this is their downfall.With a Redtail/Gos,hunger is the main stimulus in training,hawk's have to be keen to respond.

Harris's however,being more relaxed with life,requre less weight reduction in order for them to respond.Therefore,a Harris could be flying free and responding well to the fist,but not keen enough to hunt "properly".This is where trouble can begin,so fly it sharp,fly it keen,but most important at quarry :thumbs:

I believe that if you intend to pursue hawking seriously,you can do worse than start with a male Redtail.You will learn more about the importance of "weight control" and keenness,and if all goes well you will have a hunting companion for years or a good grounding for an Accipiter (Gos etc) if you want more classy flight's on feather. :victory:

Shaheen