what breed would you say transformed the terrier world ??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i think the locator shaped the terriermen of today more so than the terriers most terriers will go to ground and work weather they ve a locator or not on but how many of todays terriermen could dig to

Compaired to when ? Are dogs harder grafting then when brock was legal ? most of todays hard dogs would be dead in there first encounter ! Dogs of yesterday needed Brains not just blind courage.

It was never needed in decent working jukels,a quick fix that produces more for the wheelie bin than a working kennel.

Posted Images

your not looking at it the way i meant people will hire the second lad because they think he s quicker but in hindsight by time he cleans up and plasterer has straightened the walls he fired up in a hurry he s actually been less efficent than the lad that took his time and cleaned up and left the walls nice and straight in turn leaving the plasterer with less to do so making him finish that little bit quicker its the people that hire s the said brickies who decide on the standard they want ie the owners of said dogs who decide what standard they want some settle for anything that does the job some aim for the one that do the job right some even have both in there kennells but always hope that the rash brickie one day works like the steady one! I think i ve explained in a sort of round about way but everyone has there own take as you say tuffty :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah i know what your saying there D :thumbs:

TUFFTY

Well for me the Scottish Tod hunters that earnt their trade through their terriers,working in the lakes,fells and pennines,influenced the working terrier breeds more than any other,the Scottish terrier influence shaped the terriers in the areas they earned a living.The Beddy possibly came from this influence,which then influenced the early Lakey/Fell breeding.Russels came from a southern source and in reality have never had the same influence as the Fells and Lakeys.

has to be the bull breeds without a doubt dogs are alot harder now than pre locator days

As soon as bull blood needed adding to a strain of working terrier,then you just knew the strain where not really workers.
  • Like 1

has to be the bull breeds without a doubt dogs are alot harder now than pre locator days

As soon as bull blood needed adding to a strain of working terrier,then you just knew the strain where not really workers.

what book did you read that in?-nothing wrong with a bit of bull in terriers -some come out a bit too big or too dog aggressive but that sometimes happens anyway-good cross when it works out-

• Like 1

what book did you read that in?-nothing wrong with a bit of bull in terriers -some come out a bit too big or too dog aggressive but that sometimes happens anyway-good cross when it works out-

It was never needed in decent working jukels,a quick fix that produces more for the wheelie bin than a working kennel.
  • Like 3

Well for me the Scottish Tod hunters that earnt their trade through their terriers,working in the lakes,fells and pennines,influenced the working terrier breeds more than any other,the Scottish terrier influence shaped the terriers in the areas they earned a living.The Beddy possibly came from this influence,which then influenced the early Lakey/Fell breeding.Russels came from a southern source and in reality have never had the same influence as the Fells and Lakeys.

post-73658-0-76386600-1357504881.jpgThe Real McCoy :thumbs:

• Like 1

post-73658-0-76386600-1357504881.jpgThe Real McCoy :thumbs:

When dogs where dogs,men and women dressed the same and Deerhoundy type jukels earnt an honest crust.
  • Like 1

Man :thumbs:

man is a factor in everything from the transport on the road down to his own arsehole, so man is always going to have an influance.

but would you say that the introduction of patt / lakie / fell / jr / border / beddy / bull blood is the reason we have the hard grafting dogs that we have today?

i agree mate without the introduction of bull to the terrier world we wouldn,t have the dogs of today.

Man :thumbs:

man is a factor in everything from the transport on the road down to his own arsehole, so man is always going to have an influance.

but would you say that the introduction of patt / lakie / fell / jr / border / beddy / bull blood is the reason we have the hard grafting dogs that we have today?

i agree mate without the introduction of bull to the terrier world we wouldn,t have the dogs of today.

Whats that second rate terriers that in the not to distant past would be seen as backfills,terriers for centuries worked well,better than most about now,without bull in the mix,what does that say about the commercial side of things,because basically thats all the bull added to a working mutt,another excuse to squeeze pounds out of the nuggets that wanted type before function.
  • Like 2

Im only 32- how many centuries old are you? not having a go id say there was bull terrier of a kind in all of them long before we were born...Thanks for posting the picture-are the hounds some type of welsh hound or some extinct type...? The sealyhamis a breed thats in the backbreeding of a lot of working terriers id say-heard breay started out with them(could be wrong)

And there was bull in the Sealyham too. I think Morton might be referring to the later and more recent addition of bull blood though, after the various strains had become more or less "fixed". There's no denying that bull blood was certainly added to some terriers back in the infancy of the strains, and even then it was causing consternation for some. Wasn't it the Rev Jack that didn't like smooth coats in his terriers as it was a symptom of too much bull?