is lamping hares easier than daytime?

I have also seen a dog run a hare for 5 mln on the lamp . I had been lamping up dales and we where on our way home

And stopped at side of the road I ran this hare with the munchey.my old dog.i had bagged around 20 odd rabbits this night.

It was 3/4 grown hare aswell in sheep fields . Longest course I ever had with this dog and he has run hares allover the country.

Daytime. Yes they are easier on the lamp.but this was marothan. It does happen .does this make my dog shit . Because it took him so

Long to catch it..mmmm

must have been a strong lamp lol

or it just never ran out the beam ?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lamping Hares?.Best left to the daytime in my opinion.True test of a Lurcher

dont be so silly, just walk into any field, drop ye rucksack, shine the ole blitz about an they will all run straight up the beam an jump into ye bag, dont ye know nowt ffs......

i think everyone would agree that hares were generally a lot easier to take on the lamp.thats not to say that they cant give you a good run in the night either,it depends on lots of things .what i wou

your correct there about daytime hares being the best test of a dog but what about us lot who do not keep saluki crosses and walk feilds for them during the daytime what about lamping dogs should you not slip your dog on a hare on the lamp because its not a true test for your dog. i bet you have slipped your dog on a hare on a plough feild were the hare cannot run its best but somehow it is ok because its "daytime"

it all depends on the dogs you run if you had a pure whippet or a half cross collie are they going to catch a daytime hare with any consistance? i think lamping hares would be spot for that. just because there lamped dont mean they just roll over and die i have seen quite a few 5 min courses on the lamp and some that of ended quicker than other just like daytime. they are mostly going to be a fractionly easier because its dark and the fact there is a dazzler in there face but as a said they dont just roll over and die...

First of all i don't run Saluki x's.Secondly i don't use my Lurcher to course Hares.Finally, when i pick up a Hare in the beam i switch the lamp off because there isn't a lot around my way and i like to see them about.

so you dont run them in the day and you dont lamp them either so in other words you just dont know....

Wrong mate.I've seen Hares taken on the Lamp.(Not by me).I've also witnessed hares taken daytime.I no which i would rather watch.

your correct there about daytime hares being the best test of a dog but what about us lot who do not keep saluki crosses and walk feilds for them during the daytime what about lamping dogs should you not slip your dog on a hare on the lamp because its not a true test for your dog. i bet you have slipped your dog on a hare on a plough feild were the hare cannot run its best but somehow it is ok because its "daytime"

it all depends on the dogs you run if you had a pure whippet or a half cross collie are they going to catch a daytime hare with any consistance? i think lamping hares would be spot for that. just because there lamped dont mean they just roll over and die i have seen quite a few 5 min courses on the lamp and some that of ended quicker than other just like daytime. they are mostly going to be a fractionly easier because its dark and the fact there is a dazzler in there face but as a said they dont just roll over and die...

First of all i don't run Saluki x's.Secondly i don't use my Lurcher to course Hares.Finally, when i pick up a Hare in the beam i switch the lamp off because there isn't a lot around my way and i like to see them about.

so you dont run them in the day and you dont lamp them either so in other words you just dont know....

Wrong mate.I've seen Hares taken on the Lamp.(Not by me).I've also witnessed hares taken daytime.I no which i would rather watch.

its all down to the dog you are running at the time if you want to run a half collie grey on daytime hares carry on but i wouldnt see i problem in lamping them. if a dog cant catch them in the day should we not run them at all?

Some hares are easy at night, but by no means all of them ! Of course hares are easier in the lamp than daytime; anyone who says different obviously hasn't ran them , either day or night !! I can't see how anyone who has ran hares could think any different !!

Cheers.

Def to true this thread shows the arm chair hunters mile away

• Like 1

You dont see anyone not running a rabbit or fox on the lamp or giving them 100 yard law so why should hares get this.

Because they are the ultimate prey !! And should only be run by Saluki Hybrids !! They should never be lamped or run by inferior hounds !!!

Cheers.

lol

Said it before ,and I'll say it again, don't care what or how other people call it, fun, sport, testing their dogs, whatever, hunting in any form is exactly that, hunting. To me it's never been 'sport', as that implies straight away that you're doing it for fun, and if I wanted to see sport I'd go to the nearest boxing tournament. As to whether hares are easier to catch on the lamp, yes I agree that in some areas hares are more easily cought on the lamp than in daytime, but there are also plenty of places where you need a very good dog to catch em on the lamp.