How did you get into hunting?

So as you know I'm really new to this world, Mr P has gotten me very interested in hunting, he loves his lurchers and terriers as do I but I am most keen on gun dogs.

Was just wondering what got you all interested/hooked on hunting?? What do you do and why do you enjoy it?

Also if you have any hints or tips to help me along please feel free to divulge! :thumbs:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was taken out from a very young age by my dads best mate, who worked for him... He was a real father figure to me and my bro, took me nesting, fishing, lamping and ferreting into my teens he would p

Sat there one nite choking the chicken and thought theres got to be more to life than this

When I was seven or eight, there was an old boy who lived in the bottom house on our street and he had a big pen (allotment) behind the terrace. He used to spend more time in his cabin there than at

Dad was a clay shooter so that got me interested into the gun side of things. Used to spend summer holiday down my best mates pumping lead into his bottom fence with targets up with the BSA Meteor. Said friends grandad was a part-time gamekeeper so naturally that progressed into going about with him for a bit. We used to go squirreling and rabbiting with the air rifles. It has just gone on from there really. One of my best memories as one school holiday we camped over in a caravan next to the main pen (year before the antis let all the birds out at the event that was being held on the land). We went out and my mate shot a rabbit and his grandad showed us how to gut it / skin it then we BBQ'd it up.

Help out beating on a local shoot now and want to get out doing more shooting / mooching / whatever this year for sure!

• Like 1

I was taken out from a very young age by my dads best mate, who worked for him... He was a real father figure to me and my bro, took me nesting, fishing, lamping and ferreting into my teens he would pick me up from the youth club disco on a Friday night with my old clothes in the van to go lamping, all weekend would be spent with him outside... He passed away nearly 2 years ago, I managed to take him ferreting 1 last time before he was too ill I took my son and my brother came.... I miss him a lot, and I owe him a lot, he taught me the right way and I'm grateful to him.

Cheers

• Like 9

Was unfortunate enough to be brought up in farming and it stuck.

More pest control than hunting for a pastime but you have to enjoy what you know.

It has its benefits.

• Like 2

Lets hope this topic run's with out silly people spoiling and going of topic :thumbs:

"What the f**k," I shouted, "you pulled out right in front of me!"

"That was your fault," she snapped.

"I don't think so, love. Look at the damage; you've buckled my front left wheel!"

"You're just being ridiculous now," she responded. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Look," I replied. "Let's exchange details and get this mess sorted out."

"Oh for f**k's sake," she said, "just get another trolley and grow up." :toast:

• Like 1

I was taken out from a very young age by my dads best mate, who worked for him... He was a real father figure to me and my bro, took me nesting, fishing, lamping and ferreting into my teens he would pick me up from the youth club disco on a Friday night with my old clothes in the van to go lamping, all weekend would be spent with him outside... He passed away nearly 2 years ago, I managed to take him ferreting 1 last time before he was too ill I took my son and my brother came.... I miss him a lot, and I owe him a lot, he taught me the right way and I'm grateful to him.

Cheers

What a touching story, its great you have some good memories of the times you all had together and like they say - its the good ones that go first. All the best Newkid.

• Like 1

Well i was raised in the highlands of scotland and me uncle was a local poacher....mainly rabbit and the old salmon. He'd be making his snares and bringng home huge salmon which me grandad would cut and share with the family. Ive always loved being in the woods and out and about, then got myself an old air rifle of me uncle and plinked away in the wood at the back of my house. Then he started taking me to check the snares and we'd bring back a load of rabbits and he'd hang them in his shed then share em out with the family.......was great.

Ever since then i was hooked.......got into ferrets when i was 16-17 and snaring myself ...mainly poaching had no fear back then lol. Then got into air rifles big time and had loads of permissions and was out about 4-5 days a week shooting or ferreting. And its been with me ever since....but just ferreting now and a bit of snaring. Air rifles are FAC over here and way too much aggro to get a license so just stinkers and snares...........and no more poaching :angel: :angel: :angel::whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

• Like 1

Lets hope this topic run's with out silly people spoiling and going of topic :thumbs:

"What the f**k," I shouted, "you pulled out right in front of me!"

"That was your fault," she snapped.

"I don't think so, love. Look at the damage; you've buckled my front left wheel!"

"You're just being ridiculous now," she responded. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Look," I replied. "Let's exchange details and get this mess sorted out."

"Oh for f**k's sake," she said, "just get another trolley and grow up." :toast:

There's always one and it's always you... :doh::chair:

read a book on ferreting, and thought i'll have some of that. keeps me from the bar now too.

I thought it would keep me out of the bar ....missus moaned i was always there and not home........now she moans im out hunting.....canrt win

• Like 1