Start of this section... OTT, TTF or PFS?

Thanks to the mods for creating a section for the Catty enthusiasts, I look forward to reading many interesting topics on here from days out hunting using the catty to homemade cattys, and catty modifications, All in one place so we can easily find the relevant topics. To kick start the section off, what do you catty hunters prefer using and why OTT (Over The Top), TTF (Through The Fork), or PFS (Pickle Fork Shooter)?

All the Best,

Traditional

Edited by Traditionalhunter
  • Like 1

For years I used ott for hunting .But i was always getting a few hits on the knuckles so I looked into the reasons why? After some research and practice I changed to ttf as I find it stops the pouch hitting your hand ,,, with this in mind I found that I was hiiting more stuff due to not worrying about the pain of this slap from the pouch on your hands.Also a lighter pouch can stop the painfull slaps after you have shot .so I was putting more power into the shots because I knew I would not feel the pain ,by this i mean pulling the elastis back more because I knew I would never hit the back of my hands with the pouch..I still shoot many styles I just like hunting with cattys as its a cheep way of getting a bit of free game without anyone seeing you with a gun..A poachers pleasure that hides from the sight of nosey ppl with mobie phones..

Edited by micckey
  • Like 2

Micckey thanks for the response, I see what you are saying about hand slaps, a lot of people say that's the reason they are deterred from using OTT cattys and instead go to using TTF. I like using both, I usually use light pouches (kangaroo leather) for OTT cattys, although I use some heavier pouches sometimes. I agree hunting with the catapult is excellent, it is a great skill to master and brings great enjoyment, not just the catty hunting but making your own catapults (btw you cattys are impressive) and perfecting it, like you have mentioned its a nice tool that works and bags the game but doesn't attract the attention of nosey people. What is your preferred elastic micckey?

All the best,

Traditional

• Like 1

I like shooting both OTT and TTF, for target shooting I prefer TTF and sometimes shooting butterfly style. For hunting I prefer OTT as if I miss I find I can get another shot off faster but that's just my personal preference. As for PFS's they are a kind of catapult and not a band attachment method hehe, I haven't mastered using one yet but it's something I plan on doing this year.

I have always used kangaroo leather pouches but recently received some great laminated ones from the states which I am becoming quite fond of. I have some kangaroo leather for sale if anyone is interested?

As for elastic my favourite is Theraband Gold, it seems to outlast any other flat elastic I have tried, while it's not cheap; I find it's worth the money as I don't get any complaints from customers about bands breaking or wearing out.

• Like 1

Good Morning, Sheffield catapults thanks for your reply, Its interesting that you like the OTT for hunting as it enables you to reload and fire again at a quicker pace, You're right the PFS is a type of catty not elastic set up method, however i didnt specify i was refering to elastic set ups just what do hunters prefer using, what do you think of PFS for hunting? You said that you have always been a fan of using the Kangaroo leather pouches I can understand they are soft and light which therefore should assist the speed and direction of the projectile, these new in laminated pouches sound interesting, what makes you fond of them? are you selling the new in laminated pouches.

I agree theraband gold is a good elastic, good speed/power and easy draw back. Although ive recently got on order some green dub dub elastic to try out as i have heard some good things about this elastic, i have also seen 'the gafer' mention this dub dub and he is a reputable catty hunter and maker. Also Sheffield Catapults i like the look of your catapults keep up the good work :thumbs:.

All the best,

Traditional

• Like 1

I've never shot a PFS when hunting so I couldn't really comment sorry, I know some people who shoot them very accurately to great success though!

I like the Super Sure pouches due to the way they form around the ammo, they have a very nice feel to them which I find makes gripping the ammo easier and more consistent. They just seem to get better and better over time. I'm not selling them currently but I am thinking about selling them with all my catapults and band sets soon. As for selling them on their own I wouldn't really be able to make it worth my while as the price of them would have to be so great it would put people off buying them. If you wish I can put you in contact with the man who makes them if you wish to order some?

The real name for 'DubDub' is Roylan Tubing, it can be bought at various places on line. Personally I think the Dankung tubing is superior but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the kind words about our catapults :)

All the best,

Jim.

• Like 1

I dont rate dub dub orange, I tryed that; Said It was for girls an upset a few ppl :icon_redface: But it did snap after 20 shots with 12mm lead? Thera band gold flat is very hard to beat, easy to use and has power, I started with the old square black stuff that came in 3 sizes at our local diy store.I get what you mean jim, On ott being quicker than ttf but Ive cheated.. :whistling: Dankung Ive tryed 3 sizes and It lasts + seems to be very accurate yet dose not match thera band gold in power,In my view. :icon_redface: I had a pfs as a kid made from a old pick shaft from pit my dad made it me. I hated it as now I know I didnt know the twist to shoot it. They just upset me from my bad memorys as a kid trying to shoot that one my dad made, I've noticed that ttf on wooden cattys makes it easy to mend while still out hunting as its just slits the elastic fits in.. There is loads of ways to shoot cattys the style that I shoot is sideways Oh I am hoping to try the poches off jim the kangaroo leather is hard to beat ..