Small Non-Locking Folding Knife

If your set on a non locker have a look at the victorinox farmer, cracking build quality, takes a good edge, strong spring and the saw is a belter too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009UWJ8AM/ref=asc_df_B009UWJ8AM11326694?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B009UWJ8AM&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=495815182122308423&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Edited by oxo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im after a small, stainless steel, non-locking, folding knife, blade less than 3".   Just for skinning rabbits, something that I can carry anywhere, whatever the circumstance and not be at risk from

If you want it non locking then pop the ring off.

They are a good knife mate. Watch what you get though. A lambsfoot knife is a style of blade so it doesn't mean that just because you've got a lambsfoot blade it's going to be good. It's steel quality

most coppers dont notice opinels lock , ive been ...well lets say found in possession of one 3 times now without any bother , a No6 that is . As long as your obviously rabbiting etc , dont think there too bothered . Depends on circumstances really i mean a sharpened pencil could be classed as an offensive weapon if your waving it around in public . As has been already stated your wont go far wrong with an opinel and at less than a tenner your dont mind chucking it away if the need arises , atb phil

• Like 1

most coppers dont notice opinels lock , ive been ...well lets say found in possession of one 3 times now without any bother , a No6 that is . As long as your obviously rabbiting etc , dont think there too bothered . Depends on circumstances really i mean a sharpened pencil could be classed as an offensive weapon if your waving it around in public . As has been already stated your wont go far wrong with an opinel and at less than a tenner your dont mind chucking it away if the need arises , atb phil

Makes no difference what you carry when you are rabbiting,, you have just cause to use a proper knife for the job, I always have a 6 or 7" sheath nife when hunting, along with a billhook when ferreting

The 3" non locking thing is for knifes that you can carry at ANY time, like I say, I have a knife on me at all times,, everyday.

DON'T take the lock off an opinel and think that it will work. It doesn't. It works for a start because the wood is still tight but once you've used it a few times the wood wears and the blade gets sloppy - anyone who's had an opinel knows that after using the knife for a while, you need the lock otherwise the blade would collapse.

If it's the law you're worried about then check this out so you know where you stand http://sportingcutlery.co.uk/you-and-the-law

If you're still wanting a non-locking knife under 3 inches to fit in with the law as a knife that you can legally carry anywhere then I'd get one of these and take the blade down a bit (Blade is just over 3 inches out of the box) http://sportingcutlery.co.uk/knives/knives-by-category/folding-blade-knives/svord/b259.html

I have one of these and it's a great little knife! The beauty of it is that when you open the blade, the tang is longer than the the blade so it fits into the handle.

Heres a review of it that was in airgun world http://sportingcutlery.co.uk/review/product/list/id/529/category/125/

ATB

Sam :thumbs:

• Like 1

They are a good knife mate. Watch what you get though. A lambsfoot knife is a style of blade so it doesn't mean that just because you've got a lambsfoot blade it's going to be good. It's steel quality that counts - style and shape of knife is personal preference.

I'm not treating you like your dumb mate, just thought I'd clear that for anyone else looking :thumbs:

ATB

Sam

• Like 2

Terrierman Sam.

I have to disagree about the opinel locking ring and blade becoming sloppy.

I have two stainless steel opinels which I have owned and abused for over 4 years and neither have sloppy blades.

I'm not saying it can't happen just not in all instances.

If opinel blades do become loose you can crimp the steel ring to retighten the blade or a soaking in water will swell the wood for a good while and re stiffen the blade.

Albeit you have offered some good alternatives.

Cheers

Terrierman Sam.

I have to disagree about the opinel locking ring and blade becoming sloppy.

I have two stainless steel opinels which I have owned and abused for over 4 years and neither have sloppy blades.

I'm not saying it can't happen just not in all instances.

If opinel blades do become loose you can crimp the steel ring to retighten the blade or a soaking in water will swell the wood for a good while and re stiffen the blade.

Albeit you have offered some good alternatives.

Cheers

Fair enough mate. Just speaking from my own ones. I have two carbon steel ones that I've had a few years and I have to use the lock.

This is what I do mate. I definitely don't know everythin but I deal with alsorts of different knives day in, day out.

ATB :victory:

Sam

• Like 1

There are lots of grey areas but I wouldn't want to be explaining them to a magistrate.

Your word over a coppers. Forget it!!

It would be like explaining to the wife how to drive properly. Except with real consequences.