Whats the best time of the evening/night for fox??

Hi folks,

I'm new to shooting after having a 5 years or so break.

I was lucky enough that the land owner still knew me and allowed me back on the land...

Now when i went lamping the first time round those 5 or so years back, bagging foxes was easy. Yet i'm now lucky to see one let alone kill one! I don't recall the times of the evening/night i went lamping first time around, but it was obviously the "right time".

I went out early this evening, when it was dark and lamped for 2 years and never even saw a fox!

I saw plenty of rabbits, 2 deer and several owls up close, so i'm presuming my field craft is up to scratch.

Am i going to early in the evening maybe?

Just to add that i'm sqeeking by hand and also using the "Wam" fox caller. The only difference is the first time round i was using a " Cass Creek" caller, which had (from memory) 5 sounds. I don't recall what sound i used but it worked great, and was similar to a distressed rabbit squeal.

I tried varying the call pitch with the Wam, also volume and time between calls but still nothing.

The only thing i can think of is lampers on adjoining land are hitting the fox population hard. Or maybe something to do with the extreme weather were having :(

It's getting frustrating! Any veteran" foxers" out there that could give me an idea???

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats some shot 35 miles. You should be on the next series of top shot. LOL

What's with the weird lettering?

My 2 cents worth would say to be where you want to be just as it's getting dark. Then work later into the night depending on results. A fox can be around any time of the day or night. Even with the le

ive been out from dusk till dawn and foxes are about regardless. i have even seen em sun bathing in the middle of the day. i have seen foxes that are lamp shy, as soon as they see it they are off. i tend to spot it, turn the lamp off, call quick lamp then off, call always holding the lamp infront of the fox dont get it directly or too close to it. i see a video called whistling foxes too and if they were running he would shout oi and they would stop dead for long enough to take a shot, not done it myself as i dont shoot yet but could be worth a go.

Edited by pinguu

Hi folks,

I'm new to shooting after having a 5 years or so break.

I was lucky enough that the land owner still knew me and allowed me back on the land...

Now when i went lamping the first time round those 5 or so years back, bagging foxes was easy. Yet i'm now lucky to see one let alone kill one! I don't recall the times of the evening/night i went lamping first time around, but it was obviously the "right time".

I went out early this evening, when it was dark and lamped for 2 years and never even saw a fox!

I saw plenty of rabbits, 2 deer and several owls up close, so i'm presuming my field craft is up to scratch.

Am i going to early in the evening maybe?

Just to add that i'm sqeeking by hand and also using the "Wam" fox caller. The only difference is the first time round i was using a " Cass Creek" caller, which had (from memory) 5 sounds. I don't recall what sound i used but it worked great, and was similar to a distressed rabbit squeal.

I tried varying the call pitch with the Wam, also volume and time between calls but still nothing.

The only thing i can think of is lampers on adjoining land are hitting the fox population hard. Or maybe something to do with the extreme weather were having :(

It's getting frustrating! Any veteran" foxers" out there that could give me an idea???

:laugh: . @nd no sign of ch@rlie lol. i @lw@ys find 12 or l@ter for fox

This time of year we shoot foxes at all times of the day and night. They are paired / pairing up and quite different in their habits from other times of the year. They Will just as easily be seen crossing the road in front of you at 9 in the morning as being out after dusk at 6pm or later on in the evening.

One of the more interesting times of the year for foxing

This time of year we shoot foxes at all times of the day and night. They are paired / pairing up and quite different in their habits from other times of the year. They Will just as easily be seen crossing the road in front of you at 9 in the morning as being out after dusk at 6pm or later on in the evening.

why like this, this time of the ye@r? cheers

ive been out from dusk till dawn and foxes are about regardless. i have even seen em sun bathing in the middle of the day.

yes they c@n be seen in the d@y time @lso , but @lot more often @fter 12 on the l@mp imo :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

Not sure what you are asking me, but I think it is why a more interesting time at this time in the year.?

Because as I said, foxes here are seen at different times of the day now, and more frequently at different times of the day, than other times of the year.

On many occasions over the years foxes have appeared in the most unlikely circumstances, and they seem more oblivious at times. I am guessing because of hormones and hunger dependant on weather conditions.

ive been out from dusk till dawn and foxes are about regardless. i have even seen em sun bathing in the middle of the day.

yes they c@n be seen in the d@y time @lso , but @lot more often @fter 12 on the l@mp imo :thumbs: :thumbs:

keyp@d fooked :thumbs:

Not sure what you are asking me, but I think it is why a more interesting time at this time in the year.?

Because as I said, foxes here are seen at different times of the day now, and more frequently at different times of the day, than other times of the year.

On many occasions over the years foxes have appeared in the most unlikely circumstances, and they seem more oblivious at times. I am guessing because of hormones and hunger dependant on weather conditions.

yes m@te t@ts w@t i ment to @sk. cheers for the @nswer m@kes sence :thumbs:

My 2 cents worth would say to be where you want to be just as it's getting dark. Then work later into the night depending on results. A fox can be around any time of the day or night. Even with the length of the night this time of year he can still be out well into the day light hours.

Loads of variables with foxy, what's his territory, is he passing through, how far does he have to come, has he been held up, where's he going and why? A lot of it is luck unless you have concrete info from sightings or from trail cameras etc.

Wouldn't be much fun if we always knew when and where they were :)

• Like 1

have you tried borrowing an ir wildlife camera with date and time stamping. this will help you identify the behavioural habits of local charlie.

on my patch foxes are rarely seen in the day and often a few hours into darkness, especially late evening say 8,9,10,11pm often after 12.

fox habits are different on different ground. they are creatures of habit and may well follow the same set routine each day until forced to change it.

this time last year (when paring up) i would always see a hand full passing through my field late in the evening without fail each day within a 2-3 hour window say between 10pm and 1 am. mainly solitary but sometimes two together which i believe is rarer. most would come from the same corner of the field diagonally and i found a good snaring spot at this point

foxes can be out at anytime of day nothing to do weather they are hungry or not if they feel safe they wil be out. its all about knowing your land .you may see them breaking from cover in the woods or on there way back to the woods in the morn times.its about puting time in on your land and look for signs they wil usualy use certain runs.