Time taken

Recently i havnt been having no luck with the ferrets, but today came across a average size warren (very well hidden) bcuz of the size i only decided to put one ferret down and 15 minutes had gone by, this is very much unlike my hob normaly he's lighting quick but sure enough i thought i had a dig on my hands, then just as i grabbed the spade one bolted straight into my net qitw the ferret very close behind. I fpund this very strange as the warren wasnt very big, normaly i put him in one hole and he's out of another in seconds(i always make sure he had coverd the whole warren) is it possible that he has just been ruuning past the rabbits?

You say your hob is "lightening quick" is he a youngster/inexperienced?. In my experience hobs tend to be a bit slower than jills which leads me to think perhaps your hob's not working the bury very well. Also I believe as hobs tend to move slower underground rabbits find it easier to give them the runaround rather than bolt.

Having said all that, I used to work hobs only at one time and found once they are experienced they are as good as any jill :thumbs:

You say you came across a warren and you feel as though the ferret didn't work as quick as it normally would ...,you need to remember that your entering a ferret into the unknown, although the bury looked an average size to you it could well be much, much larger underground....from what you've written I can't see a problem, you entered a ferret and he stayed below ground working the bury and it resulted in a nice quick bolt .......he entered well got the job done, that's a result in my book :)

• Like 1

You say your hob is "lightening quick" is he a youngster/inexperienced?. In my experience hobs tend to be a bit slower than jills which leads me to think perhaps your hob's not working the bury very well. Also I believe as hobs tend to move slower underground rabbits find it easier to give them the runaround rather than bolt.

Having said all that, I used to work hobs only at one time and found once they are experienced they are as good as any jill :thumbs:

I've always found hobs bolt quicker than jills.

• Like 1

I find my hob is slower at working underground than my jill. But my hob is a fair size compared to my jill and he doesnt even moved arund that quick when he's around in the shed having a mooch the jill is a lot more quick footed. But prefer using my hob to my jill....but thats just my preference they both bolt the rabbits. As said before a set may only look small but you dont know what goes on underground or how big it is.

Do what i did and send one down and follow it with your locator and see how big the set is, then send the other one down and see if they do roughly the same routes or the distances they move around it'll give you an idea if there both working the set thoroughly.....just an idea :thumbs:

When you've had the ferret a while you will get to know how he works..., when he exits a hole you don't need to pick him up straight away and stuff him down the nearest hole as he may well be giving you and indication that there's nothing else at home.....when he emerges next time leave him for a minute, you may find he will travel / work above ground then re enter a different hole of his own accord..