I am going to stick my neck out here and will probably get shot down in flames but can only say it as ive seen it over the years .....imo I honestly dont think there is that much differance in each terriers scenting capabilities not when to ground anyway ...obviously some terriers have better noses than others but I think that all hunting types of dogs have good scent and in the confines of an earth even in big spots I think that the quarry is not found mainly by scent but a mixture of a lot of things .....I f another dog has been entered the earth before and lifted then another terrier has been entered then I think that would hamper a terrier finding as the scent would be all over the place .....you hear this all the time that to be a good finder they must have a good nose but I dont think there can be that much of a differance in each terriers smelling capabilities ....I may be wrong but food for thought

Are you saying that a young 1st season dog should be able to find the same as a seasoned terrier.I have seen young dogs lose there quarry in big places and not be able to find again and not through lack of gameness just lack of experience and when a seasoned dog is entered they find relativaly easy.Pre-ban when other game was legal to dig i have seen dogs come away from there game giving it time to get dug in and it then takes a real experienced dog to locat it again.Nobody knows what happens under the sod when the terrier is working its game,tubes can cave in between dog and quarry resulting in dog coming out especially a young dog,but if a terrier comes away from a certain spot and another dog is entered and finds in the same place then you know whats wrong,it dont want it.

• Like 7

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha fanny;-) in my eyes there only animals not f*****g machines, in a dogs first season I'd forgive a few hiccups here and there but in its second season the rules & expectations change for me.

if your dog is not f or the faint hearted you should be glad he has not found in deep spots ....there are a few places I will not drop a stayer in and have walked away from especialy if the place has

KNOWING WHEN TO REST A TERRIER IS THE ACT OF A TERRIER MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE TERRIER MEN AND THEN THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO OWN TERRIERS !!!!!!!!!!

has he been carrying an injury you have missed?maybe why he dont face quarry and says nobody home?been digging to a dog the last few weeks and he has been spot on-tried him boxing day and he bolted 2 from a big old place,then moved on-when he settled and we got a mark it was 3.3/3.5m under 2 big trees and a fenceline running through it-gave him half hour and started to dig-real hard going took half hour to get a metre then we hit compacted shale and it slowed right down.turned around and dog showed outside 1 of the holes-he was in a right sorry state and so we cleaned him up and collared up my little bitch-she flew in and went straight to where the other dog had been-dig back on-4hrs later and we had opened up enough to see the bitch working the quarry-so she was lifted and quarry dispatched-talking to my mate and he said the dog had spewed-but looking back he was still sore from the last few digs the boy had, had with him-my mate reckons the dog knew we couldnt get down to him quick enough so thats why he gave up-what do you think?when i saw the dog work the week before he was real tidy and we where digging him at about 1.5/2m twice the same day without a problem.has anyone else had this happen to them?ive told my mate to rest him fully and then we will see if it was a one off or hes ruined.would of thought that the dog wouldnt care how deep the quarry was judging by how much gusto he had when working on the last few occassions-my view is the dog was sore and walked because he is smart-i could be wrong-what do you all think?interested in anwsers from proper dog men and not the keyboard crew :whistling: atb bobby

its easy to sicken any living thing any i have saw that happen with have all bounced back after a gd rest and fully healed up. boes a boxer fight hard fights week in week out nope they get over the injuries sustained during the previous fight. now i dont mean sore as in a few nicks or scratches i mean from hard work

I am going to stick my neck out here and will probably get shot down in flames but can only say it as ive seen it over the years .....imo I honestly dont think there is that much differance in each terriers scenting capabilities not when to ground anyway ...obviously some terriers have better noses than others but I think that all hunting types of dogs have good scent and in the confines of an earth even in big spots I think that the quarry is not found mainly by scent but a mixture of a lot of things .....I f another dog has been entered the earth before and lifted then another terrier has been entered then I think that would hamper a terrier finding as the scent would be all over the place .....you hear this all the time that to be a good finder they must have a good nose but I dont think there can be that much of a differance in each terriers smelling capabilities ....I may be wrong but food for thought

moo ive sat and ponderd this many times hounds marking going ape terrier droped in come out goes in comes out terriers that on other occasions find. Then anothers brought to the earth. Finds after a while is it scent well i think its prey drive and mental rarther than scenting weakness. Had terrier bay and bay then when you break through rush in and fight and hold but would bay all day if you left them. Like ive said on countless occasions terriers aint robots We only see the final outcome what goes on under ground is in the main speculation. And results judged on the final out come only my Humble opinion

has he been carrying an injury you have missed?maybe why he dont face quarry and says nobody home?been digging to a dog the last few weeks and he has been spot on-tried him boxing day and he bolted 2 from a big old place,then moved on-when he settled and we got a mark it was 3.3/3.5m under 2 big trees and a fenceline running through it-gave him half hour and started to dig-real hard going took half hour to get a metre then we hit compacted shale and it slowed right down.turned around and dog showed outside 1 of the holes-he was in a right sorry state and so we cleaned him up and collared up my little bitch-she flew in and went straight to where the other dog had been-dig back on-4hrs later and we had opened up enough to see the bitch working the quarry-so she was lifted and quarry dispatched-talking to my mate and he said the dog had spewed-but looking back he was still sore from the last few digs the boy had, had with him-my mate reckons the dog knew we couldnt get down to him quick enough so thats why he gave up-what do you think?when i saw the dog work the week before he was real tidy and we where digging him at about 1.5/2m twice the same day without a problem.has anyone else had this happen to them?ive told my mate to rest him fully and then we will see if it was a one off or hes ruined.would of thought that the dog wouldnt care how deep the quarry was judging by how much gusto he had when working on the last few occassions-my view is the dog was sore and walked because he is smart-i could be wrong-what do you all think?interested in anwsers from proper dog men and not the keyboard crew :whistling: atb bobby

In my opinion when a working terrier goes to his quarry there should be no excuse for it to leave it maybe you shouldn't have entered the dog sore but even still he walked and that is that you can lie him up and try him again he might dig 50 more but in the back of your head you will never have full faith in him

basicaly what im saying is you hear lads saying that dog is a good finder cause it has a good nose but imo there cant be that much differance in idividual terriers scenting capabilities ...if a terrier is in the depth and its quarry is on the move it is only the matter of seconds in front of it so surely it cant be that hard to follow useing scent ....we haave all seen all types of hunting dogs take a line on the surface that is hours old and surely the scent is very diluted ..... I personally dont think there is much of a differance of each terriers scenting capabilties

In my opinion when a working terrier goes to his quarry there should be no excuse for it to leave it maybe you shouldn't have entered the dog sore but even still he walked and that is that you can lie him up and try him again he might dig 50 more but in the back of your head you will never have full faith in him

thats utter nonsence a dog worked sore does not need to hold his head in shame if it walked

• Like 3

. If you have any of this type you want shut of say after 15 digs and its still playing on your mind ill feed it bud
  • Like 2

@bobby blackheart. Lol at your mate saying the dog knowing you wouldn't get down to him quick enough so that's why he gave up haha first time I've heard that one. Seriously though the dog probably walked because he was sore and had enough jmho. Rest him up and give him another try!

• Like 5

thats utter nonsence a dog worked sore does not need to hold his head in shame if it walked

That's bollox it's not the dogs fault it was worked sore agreed but the dog walked so there is no excuse

IN my opinion a young terrier should be given a chance .But i also think it takes a terrier with lot determination and a high pray to make the grade but they should stay till dug no matter how deep the dog doesnt no how deep it is .Its alot to do with the man working the terrier that will make a good 1 :thumbs: you can sicken any dog as said above they aint robots although its nice to test them and see what u have when it works out well

Edited by back fill
  • Like 1

. If you have any of this type you want shut of say after 15 digs and its still playing on your mind ill feed it bud

I'm not saying its not worth keeping but if he walked once sore or not and he gets took into the trenches again there is a chance he will walk

I'm not saying its not worth keeping but if he walked once sore or not and he gets took into the trenches again there is a chance he will walk

. And ill have it. No problem

well if that happens again and again then ya know what to do but is def worth giving it another try fully healed. remember if hes sore before entering and gets more stick then he feels hes getting a beating its all about keeping the dog winning us humans arnt the only ones that learn from days in the field
  • Like 1

well if that happens again and again then ya know what to do but is def worth giving it another try fully healed. remember if hes sore before entering and gets more stick then he feels hes getting a beating its all about keeping the dog winning us humans arnt the only ones that learn from days in the field

This is true as well but you can't get it handy for the terrier all the time so you need a dog that can take a bit of a hiding if that's what it takes to get the job done

the dog is not even 2 yr old yet and had been dug 4 times in 10 days before he walked on the deep one-very determined dog -i think he was sore and wanted to fight another day.dont make him a coward in my book-if he does it again when hes fighting fit-then hes gone to someone who will have a use for him-he is still young and cant be written off yet he was over matched on the day-he worked and bolted 2 from same earth.atb bobby

• Like 1