some dogs seem to be able to travel up and down through levels better than others. some can dig on better than others in tight spaces. and ive seen a few that disliked travelling through water. with plenty of work you get to know a dogs strong points. and any weaknesses. they all have faults/flaws.

• Like 3

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha fanny;-) in my eyes there only animals not f*****g machines, in a dogs first season I'd forgive a few hiccups here and there but in its second season the rules & expectations change for me.

if your dog is not f or the faint hearted you should be glad he has not found in deep spots ....there are a few places I will not drop a stayer in and have walked away from especialy if the place has

KNOWING WHEN TO REST A TERRIER IS THE ACT OF A TERRIER MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE TERRIER MEN AND THEN THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO OWN TERRIERS !!!!!!!!!!

if your dog is not f or the faint hearted you should be glad he has not found in deep spots ....there are a few places I will not drop a stayer in and have walked away from especialy if the place has never been dug before.its not that your dog maybe didnt find it maybe just couldnt bottle anything up?

I had a dog in a place..... in the protection of game birds.....a few months ago that looked deepish I was reluctant as it was a new spot and had never herd of anyone dig it but there was 4 of us and the collar was checked and he was entered finally got a mark over an hour later around 40 yards away from the entrance at 6.4 mtr and slowly moving on not a good feeling at 2pm in the afternoon the dog couldnt bottle his quarry and was lifted after appearing at a hole ....but to look at this place you would never expect they depths I wil admit I wont be going back there

Edited by MOO
  • Like 10

knowing the earths is great thing knowing the terriers capabilty can oniy be gauged after experience even the bravest terriers deserve

to be left on the lead at certain locations local knowledge is in valuble , good to read likeminded people are about ;)

• Like 7

i aggree the right dog will go if it knows its there or scents it deep it will find you are bang on ......fook knows whats wrong with mine he cant find for toffe yet hunts rats like a trooper and its not as though hes a jacker as ive dug to him before and shall we say he aint for the faint hearted mate and thats an understatement but yet hes failing to find on 2 occassions now :huh::hmm: its bugging the tits off me any ideas anyone :thumbs:

Have heard of some dogs that take some punishment on the nose and loos some of thaire sens of smel.

I am going to stick my neck out here and will probably get shot down in flames but can only say it as ive seen it over the years .....imo I honestly dont think there is that much differance in each terriers scenting capabilities not when to ground anyway ...obviously some terriers have better noses than others but I think that all hunting types of dogs have good scent and in the confines of an earth even in big spots I think that the quarry is not found mainly by scent but a mixture of a lot of things .....I f another dog has been entered the earth before and lifted then another terrier has been entered then I think that would hamper a terrier finding as the scent would be all over the place .....you hear this all the time that to be a good finder they must have a good nose but I dont think there can be that much of a differance in each terriers smelling capabilities ....I may be wrong but food for thought

• Like 1

has he been carrying an injury you have missed?maybe why he dont face quarry and says nobody home?been digging to a dog the last few weeks and he has been spot on-tried him boxing day and he bolted 2 from a big old place,then moved on-when he settled and we got a mark it was 3.3/3.5m under 2 big trees and a fenceline running through it-gave him half hour and started to dig-real hard going took half hour to get a metre then we hit compacted shale and it slowed right down.turned around and dog showed outside 1 of the holes-he was in a right sorry state and so we cleaned him up and collared up my little bitch-she flew in and went straight to where the other dog had been-dig back on-4hrs later and we had opened up enough to see the bitch working the quarry-so she was lifted and quarry dispatched-talking to my mate and he said the dog had spewed-but looking back he was still sore from the last few digs the boy had, had with him-my mate reckons the dog knew we couldnt get down to him quick enough so thats why he gave up-what do you think?when i saw the dog work the week before he was real tidy and we where digging him at about 1.5/2m twice the same day without a problem.has anyone else had this happen to them?ive told my mate to rest him fully and then we will see if it was a one off or hes ruined.would of thought that the dog wouldnt care how deep the quarry was judging by how much gusto he had when working on the last few occassions-my view is the dog was sore and walked because he is smart-i could be wrong-what do you all think?interested in anwsers from proper dog men and not the keyboard crew :whistling: atb bobby