Binocular advice please

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Catch 22, if youve crap binos, you'll miss stuff in low light, similarly, if you buy a cheap scope, you wont pick up the target. I reckon you'd increase your sucess rate by well over 70% by buying dec

If it was me i would get a decent scope and bins on the book from Uttings or the like. That way you can have quality gear without skinting yourself in one hit.

Hutchey, tried some of the hawke bins today, very impressed how good they are for the money, the 8x43 collect more light than the 10x43 but you loose that little bit extra magnification........decitio

i might be too late on this topic but give Sherwoods a call. i use them for all photographic and bino stuff and they are ace and will talk you through what you need, swaros are awesome but not cheap

They have a superb selection of used/nearly new also. Out in the sticks but worth a visit.

You can get quality on a budget. Being a birder for years I have owned some of the best optics on the planet but currently I am back to Hawke Frontier ED (MKII 10x43) as my main bins. In the summer I had fortune to get a pair of Swarovision's which I have to say are the very best optics I have seen apart from a Kowa scope I tried. The Svaro's were £1700 yet provided probably a 1% overall difference to the Frontiers which can currently be had for around £250. To many who compare the Svaro's with the Frontiers the difference was undetectable (mostly estuaries) I put them up for sale on here but sold them to a bloke on B B S. I have some Zeiss Dialyt 8 x 56 which are good stalking bins (or perceived to be) and at around £1200 they should be but they are some way behind optically than the Hawke's and I rarely pick them up anymore for birding. Having never had any faults with any of my bins I can't comment on quality/warranty issues yet I suspect all of the above companies provide first rate support.

If you are near any Wildlife Trust keep a lookout for a company called In-Focus who frequent these reserves. They have a viewing day every so often where you can try them all; it's only under these conditions that you can start comparing such like; the high street provides little to get an objective opinion imo.

Sorry mate but unless its a bright day, then your scenario doesnt stack up.

I've a pair of Hawkes which were ok during the day, but when the light goes its like looking in a black hole. Remember the OP is looking for low light binos.

Hawke Frontier ED binos are nice, but to compare them with binoculars from Zeiss or Swarovski is a bit too optimistic. ;)

I would rate 8x42 scopes in this order, based on my experience (I will start with Hawke and go up):

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43

Sightron SIII 8x42 LR

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42

Minox HG 8x43

Kowa XD 8.5x44

Nikon HG Light 8x42

Leica Ultravid 8x42 BL

Swarovski SLC 8x42 HD

In top of the line differences become really small:

Leica Ultravid HD 8x42 - really small and great colors

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 - really sharp, flat field of view (can be disturbing by movements)

Zeiss Victory FL 8x42 - great for low light (this model is not produced any more and the new HT models I didn't test so far)

For performance in low light conditions best choice are porro prism binoculars (Docter Nobilem, Steiner Nighthunter, Swarovski Habicht, Nikon SE...), however this binoculars are mostly heavy and big.

Among roof prism binoculars, only those with Abbe-Koenig prisms (Zeiss Victory, some Optolyth binos and Docter B/CF) can match light transmission rates from roof prism binoculars. Best of them all will probably be Zeiss Victory HT when they become available.

Edited by De_Tomaso

For performance in low light conditions best choice are porro prism binoculars (Docter Nobilem, Steiner Nighthunter, Swarovski Habicht, Nikon SE...), however this binoculars are mostly heavy and big.

Among roof prism binoculars, only those with Abbe-Koenig prisms (Zeiss Victory, some Optolyth binos and Docter B/CF) can match light transmission rates from roof prism binoculars. Best of them all will probably be Zeiss Victory HT when they become available.

I had a loan of Zeiss Victory rangefinders last week, and I was very, very impressed just before dawn. Hence in another post I,m looking for a pair.

£1800 is a sore one from new!

Independant camera shops usually stock binoculars. Pop in and have a look and a chat with them. They'll give you good advive and you'll be able to look through some pairs first. If you find a pair you like you can then find a cheapest price on the net, take that pricew to the shop and see if they'll match it. This is what i do for most things i buy now, get the price from the net, but buy local.

Hi Pledgey - did exactly that at lunchtime and they said to pop back some time when it gets darker so i can try some that i think i like and see what they are like in dark/dull conditions.

So i'll be popping in again when i can.

If you are stuck on a budget, I suggest you have a look around for a set of Opticron High resolutions on the bay. There is a set for about £100 at present.

Ive stalked for years with a pair, and most folk i stalk with also highly rate my binoculars. Do not compare them to Zeiss/Leica etc.. but under conditions legal to shoot deer, i.e. hour before, Hour after sunset, I have never found my self in a position where they failed to provide me with enough information to make a decision to pull a trigger. I also use them at night foxing on the lamp, and at sensible ranges provide adequate information.

They get battered, and keep working.... And I mean BATTERED!!

Hawke Frontier ED binos are nice, but to compare them with binoculars from Zeiss or Swarovski is a bit too optimistic. ;)

I would rate 8x42 scopes in this order, based on my experience (I will start with Hawke and go up):

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43

Sightron SIII 8x42 LR

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42

Minox HG 8x43

Kowa XD 8.5x44

Nikon HG Light 8x42

Leica Ultravid 8x42 BL

Swarovski SLC 8x42 HD

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 - really sharp, flat field of view (can be disturbing by movements)

Zeiss Victory FL 8x42 - great for low light (this model is not produced any more and the new HT models I didn't test so far)

Having owned the Swarovision's and still the Zeiss my optimism is based on usage and nothing else but we all have differing eyesight therefore opinion. The Frontier ED provides performance across the board including low light as good as the Swaro's, that is a fact to me having viewed them for months side by side in all instances. The Ultravid I thought were some way behind the Swaro's.

Minox might be worth a look for the money... They can certainly take some punishment as mine have found out. You can tell the difference comparing them against a top end make but think the priority is a scope.

Remember with a scope you're not only looking for brightness & clarity of picture but accurate adjustment, holding zero against knocks, fogging etc and its the scope is going to help more putting the animal on the floor. No point seeing it if you can't bloody shoot it - especially if last light when you want to drop it no the spot and not be looking roung the scrub with a torch or ringing a mate with a dog.

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43

Sightron SIII 8x42 LR

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42

Minox HG 8x43

Kowa XD 8.5x44

Nikon HG Light 8x42

Leica Ultravid 8x42 BL

Swarovski SLC 8x42 HD

Having owned the Swarovision's and still the Zeiss my optimism is based on usage and nothing else but we all have differing eyesight therefore opinion. The Frontier ED provides performance across the board including low light as good as the Swaro's, that is a fact to me having viewed them for months side by side in all instances. The Ultravid I thought were some way behind the Swaro's.

I also tested all of these scopes (and others) and have only written my opinion.