great day out

got an invite to go out with a gun pack on o vermin drive today & had a great time. the meet was at prompt 8 & was still a bit dark , handshakes all round ,a bit of banter & the dos & do not were spelled out for all , shoot any winged vermin, rabbits, & if Charlie shows himself he is to be shot too. everyone set off for there places , the huntsman says I can follow him,, hounds were let out of the van & we were off, first draw was a huge gorse bank about a mile long & maybe 150 yards wide, judging by all the pheasant feeders this was a pretty big shoot, hounds began speaking straight away,, !old drag! says huntsman as they went left handed & began making for a large hardwood, a shot fired to my right & the radio sparks up !vixen down! ok replys huntsman everyone over to wood you know were to go, the wind had now picked up & was cutting, the next hour & half were quiet apart from a solitary hound booing here & there, go check the earth in the gorse huntsman tells someone over the radio, 20 mins later nothing at home was the reply, there were roe deer aplenty in the wood, do the hounds not bother them I asked ? THEY WOULD ONLY DO IT ONCE was his reply, enough said, [bANNED TEXT] lads back to the gorse says huntsman we will draw from were the vixen was shot, hounds were held up for 20 mins to give guns a chance to get back to the cover & we were of again ,I must admit I was starting to blow a bit, hounds were speaking as soon as they enterd the cover, scents aint to good says huntsman, we were drawing into the wind ,you back guns be alert says huntsman, hes just passed me but to far for a clean shot comes over the radio, a hot rings out at other end ,big dog fox down, ones just shown were you went in says a back gun so we head back to the other end, by now im really blowing but loving it, hounds were quickly on again & this fox follows the same course as the prior one, again the scent was poor & hounds struggled , another shot rings out , don't think I hit him says gun , hounds were soon marking one of the earths tried earlier so the terrierman is soon in action & a dead fox (another dog) is accounted for , the gun had hit him, hounds were boxed up, keeper thanks everone ,job well done ,I thank the lads for a great day & hint for another invite,,get yourself on the treadmill & il think about it says huntsman laughing, ps I did ok it with him before I sent this post ,atb

Good to read about a Day out :thumbs:

I got LUCKY today,Phone a friend Helped..someone was struggling with kit & Jawin' Phoned Me to help them out :whistling: Job done..... :yes:

+ wee white Dog giving me something to smile about :)

These Hounds are the type for a Lucky Fella :laugh: Specially late sleepers :D

post-73658-0-17623600-1357507859_thumb.jpg

I got LUCKY today,Phone a friend Helped..someone was struggling with kit & Jawin' Phoned Me to help them out :whistling: Job done..... :yes:

if a hadnt phoned ya it would have tapped you on the shoulder :bye: lol

if a hadnt phoned ya it would have tapped you on the shoulder :bye: lol

not a bad result today mate considering only 5 guns & ten couple of hounds ,4 couple of them being pups. what size in acres do you think that block is ?