Do you think Myxomatosis should be a reportable disease?

Apart from my countryside interests, I am also a ranger for a National Cycle Network route. A member of the public asked me (when I was on a cycle route) where they could report a case of a Rabbit with Myxomatosis to. The Rabbit was humanely disposed of and taken out of it's misery. I enquired with several agencies and some Governmental, but it appears that the same old advice was given to me. The advice was- Dispatch the Rabbit and bag and bin or burn or bury. Also I was advised to let anyone who has domesticated Rabbits to seek vetinary advice regarding immunisation. I was also told the disease is not a reportable one anymore.

I asked a vet about the effects on other animals such as Ferrets and I was told the disease is only affecting Rabbits at present and has not mutated. Some Rabbits are now immune to the disease.

Do you think Myxomatosis should be a reportable disease and the infected areas mapped and publically accessible?

The trouble is it comes and goes like the wind and we even get small pockets of it but the surrounding populations are free of it. Months later the reverse.

How would you actually define an area?

A little bit like the dowse affecting Ash trees. At this moment they want to know of infected areas but eventually it will be all over, and then that info will be irrelevant.

The only people who really care if rabbits get myxomatosis are those who want to ferret, shoot them. Farmers don't mind it as it saves them having to get someone in to control them, and the public don't care (for the most part) as they don't generally see wild animals out in the countryside. it's not like they are ruining a cash crop like the Colorado beetle on potatoes; in fact it's the opposite way round: rabbits ruin cash crops: no rabbits, crops safe.

Guest Chancey

its cyclic and only rabbits that have recovered from it have imunity, this imunity is not passed on to offspring. It is believed the cycle is linked to the paracites that spread the virus :thumbs:

i was told it every 7 years by a farmer dont know if theres any truth in it