What WAS the best x for deer

I've a dog here who's breeding Is deer grey x saluki bull grey he's 29 inch tts and I'm sure pre ban he'd have taken afew ;)

sounds a handy type

He is a handy dog , I know what he's capable of ;)

20121226_181432.jpg

photo-76.jpg

Edited by J.DOG
  • Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it because its expensive?.

there is not a best cross for deer or anything else for that matter, some dogs simply cant do them, some dogs do them well and a very few dogs excel.

Anything that doesnt bay at 'em

I've a dog here who's breeding Is deer grey x saluki bull grey he's 29 inch tts and I'm sure pre ban he'd have taken afew ;)

sounds a handy type

He is a handy dog , I know what he's capable of ;)

20121226_181432.jpg

photo-76.jpg

strong looking dog there, I like him.

Cheers mate hes 4/5 yrs now I'd like a pup from him in the future thumbs:

I've seen roe bucks put their head down and hit a dog when pushed hard. Only a couple of times, though. Your dog needed to be fast to get up to them though. Chinky's would fold up on the floor when the dog breathed on them,

youve seen some easy chinkies then ,,, cause once this time of yr comes they can go ,,, september , the lads i know leave em as some are proper young

if i was to buy a dog for deer (thats if it was ever legalised) i think id go either saluki/bull/grey or saluki/collie/grey ..

seen a saluki/bull/grey before the ban and i liked what i seen :laugh:

I've seen roe bucks put their head down and hit a dog when pushed hard. Only a couple of times, though. Your dog needed to be fast to get up to them though. Chinky's would fold up on the floor when the dog breathed on them,

youve seen some easy chinkies then ,,, cause once this time of yr comes they can go ,,, september , the lads i know leave em as some are proper young

They've always got young on the ground. You would just pick your runs.

When you say I've seen some easy ones, do you mean slow or hard fighting? I never said they were slow, but they ain't got the pace of the bigger stuff, they can just turn a lot better. They haven't got any fight in them, I don't know what dogs the lads you know have got but if they're struggling with Chinkys then they ain't up to the job. Have you ever seen them yourself or are you just going on what these lads have told you?

• Like 1

What about a pair of dogs? Could size have beeen brought down maybe, with a catch dog and a kill dog? I know people like dogs to do single handed etc but would two smaller dogs be less conspicuous as deer dogs? What's your views? Cheers

no need for 2 dogs, lads were taking deer with dogs under 24tts single handed pre ban, even a 19tts whippet x was used on the roe.

Was it just me but I found roe deer feck all to take, easyier then any hare.

I find these type of statements about types of quarry being `feck all` amuseing if you did plenty of a specious and I mean out day night rain or shine puting in the miles no quarry is `feck all ` even the humble rabbit .....

• Like 3