Pairing For The Breeding Season

I have been thinking over the past couple of day's and here is my plan..right or wrong i am unsure about so any tip's and advice is much appreciated.. :thumbs: .

As folk will know i have 3 x linked aviaries measuring..7ft x 6ft x 7ft high..my plan is to put 2 x irish fancy hen's and 2x red factor hen's in one of the flight's with a Goldie Cock..another flight will hold 2 x Pied Greenfinch hen's and 1x Lutino cock and in the same flight i will have a pair of Redpoll's..which will leave me with a spare flight for now till i find some thing to go in there.. :whistling: ..the 2 x goldie mules will be removed from there come breeding season into a indoor flight that i am going to make to house any offspring if i am lucky enough..

Does that pairing sound about right .. :hmm: ..

And does anyone have any Siskin's they don't want.. :D .

U might get something from the goldie if u are lucky, but why not get him a hen.I can't understand why u want to mix the Greenie blood.Plenty of time to mess about when u have a little more experiance and with luck birds to mess with.Just my taughts mate and the very best of luck what ever u do P1

Sounds ok to me but what you might find is a few clear eggs to start with from the 4 canary hens until the cock gets going as they may come into condition before he does but it's not always the case and you may be lucky straight off,I'd also be keeping in mind where the next years young are going to go as they can soon mount up and it wouldn't shock me if you had 30 odd young from those birds by end of summer :laugh: .That's why i have a mule and oddment flight and that collared mule will help to teach any mules you breed to sing a good song if you put them in with him once there feeding themselves,as for siskins they seem to be buggers to get hold of i've spent ages finding some spare hens for a lonesome cock i have so if nothing else your welcome to any young un's i breed next year :thumbs: .

• Like 1

Para,as you know Millet got the lutino cock in the craigyboy auction along with the red factor hens as a muling trio but a good man has sorted him out with a couple of pied hens,now there pied as that's what was on offer to him and he's wanting to breed some greenie's rather than mixing colours as it may look,i'd do the same to be honest as i think better to get something than nothing and un like dogs there going to lay the eggs anyway so better them full than clear imo.Not having a pop mate just trying to explain how i see what he's doing as i know everyone involved in helping him out get going :victory: .

• Like 1

IF you get that cock Millet or end up with just a cock i'll give you one of the hens i'm getting and have a swap of young un's with you end of next year type thing and i'll bring the hen up when i get up your way some time this winter :thumbs: .

heres my advice draw some plans up for an extension .... :laugh:

:hmm: might be a good idea that :hmm::laugh: :laugh:

I have a 8ft X 4ft X 8ft high enclosure in the garage at the moment that is full of quail for hawk food..they will go in the freezer soon..then i will modify the room to house whatever breed in my outdoor aviaries.. :thumbs:

Either of you two gentlemen interested in a pastel siskin cock if your passing my way?

Many thank's again for yet another generous offer.. :thumbs: ..but if i do manage to get hold of some it's the natural colour's i want.. :yes: